Monday, April 30, 2007

Yount Card of the Day #4

2004 Topps All-Time Fan Favorites #28


This card has become a "modern favorite" of mine. I really enjoy the reworkings of old cards through a Marvel Comics "What If...?" perspective. The great thing about this card is the swapping out of the close-up in favor of an action shot. Had this been the actual 1981 issue, it would have been only the second such card for Robin.
That's not to say that the '81 card isn't awesome. This is a watershed card (though some would argue on behalf of his 1980 release) that marks the transition of Yount from boy to man. Ask anyone on the street to sketch Yount for you, and the image below will more closely match it than anything 1980 or earlier.

The original also has one thing going for it: Batting Helmet. Right up in your face.
The blue-with-white-front design reminds me of childhood garage sports equipment boxes. Underneath the cracked fake jai-alai thing you used to toss and catch tennis balls, the uninflatable football with the collapsed air bladder that had detached from the sides, and the Packers helmet with the single kicker-style facebar across the front, there probably weren't too many of these storage facilities without one of these babies in it. And dammit if there weren't a faded tennis ball or two (the ones that had gotten stuck in the backyard pine tree in June and hadn't been shook loose until a strong October bluster made its presence known) that were hidden under it.

Speaking of batting helmets, at the last Brewer game I attended, there were at least two grown men in my section alone who were wearing batting helmets. This is something that needs to go away. A child, sure, I can see the novelty angle, but thirty-something dads need to keep these on the barroom display shelf at home. Is it an issue of protection? If this is the case, I would have to argue that the standard-issue consumer batting helmet is about as protective as one of those Wisconsin Electric "hard hats" they would give out to kids in the eighties. You'd probably be better off wearing a Frigid Five stocking cap.

And finally, speaking of caps, let's discuss the best element of both samples: The Cap Logo.

I truly can't say enough about that cap. If I were the cartoon version of Robin Yount, my show would run during the 1984 NBC Saturday morning lineup, sandwiched right between Snorks and The Pink Panther and Sons. I would wear this very hat, proclaiming to all what team I played for and what position I played. And based on name alone, Randy Ready and I would share many adventures.

1 comment:

Phil Watters said...

I like the batting helmet-wearing adult, I must admit. I think it's like the Packers' fan who wears the helmet to the game - or the Packers construction hat. It's part of the game - sign of a die hard fan.