Sunday, September 23, 2007

1981 Topps Tournament -- Quarterfinal, Match 3

Seed #4 Lonnie Smith (#317) VS. Seed #12 Al Hrabosky (#636)



The point of contention here is facial hair. One man's mandibular coiffure makes you want to stand up, place your hand over your heart, and unthinkingly recite a few lines about patriotism. The other man's gives you the dry heaves. These matchups are becoming so close that they are virtually impossible to prognosticate. I ask you to look deep into your hearts and make your choice.

Coincidentally, I spent Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of this past week serving on a jury. I even went so far as to make sure I was the foreman. I figured, "Hey, I may never have to do this again, might as well make my experience as full as possible." With that in mind, I believe this particular contest would have been harder to deliberate than the actual trial. We were actually in an 11-1 standoff for a couple of hours until the lone dissenting woman finally relented as we approached 4:00 on what will probably be the last beautiful Friday afternoon in Wisconsin until late May. Thank God I wasn't assigned to Smith V. Hrabosky; I might still be sequestered at this moment.

Vote with your conscience, people.

8 comments:

dayf said...

Hrabosky never froze like a deer in headlights during the 7th game of the World Series, so my vote goes to the Mad Hungarian.

Anonymous said...

Hrabosky...that mustache weighs more than "Skates"' entire body.

-Kevin

steve said...

Hrabosky

Anonymous said...

Gotta go with Lonnie. Those 'burns are priceless

jinxo said...

You have to go with The Mad Hungarian. I am afraid of what would happen if you didn't.

Bay Rat North West said...

Gotta go w/ the Mad Hungarian. Looks like he sees Hulk Hogan and wants a piece of him. Think this is where Hogan got his inspiration for his facial scruff? Never figured him as an 81 Topps collector.

--David said...

I gotta go with Hraboksy... I'd hate to lose my kneecaps....

bailorg said...

Hrabosky. Or else.