Monday, September 3, 2007

1981 Topps Tournament -- Round of 16, Match 5

Happy Labor Day everyone! Let's get down to business.

Seed #5 Mike Ramsey (#366)

Mike earns high seeding because of his choice in headwear. Not surprisingly, forward baseball caps topped by backwards batting helmets became trendy apparel among impressionable youth for a period of five months or so in the greater St. Louis area. Unknown, however, is whether Ramsey was able to solve "The Case of the Westchesterfordshire Abbey Haunting," or if the boys at Scotland Yard were able to beat him to the punch. "Elementary, my dear Whitey...er...Watson!"

--------------------VS.--------------------

Seed #12 Al Hrabosky (#636)

Al Hrabosky: Well, I lost my temper and I took a knife and I uh-. Do you know those "Do Not Remove Under the Penalty of Law" labels they put on mattresses?
Pee-Wee: Yeah.
Al Hrabosky: Well I CUT one of them off!

Wow, meanest-looking emmer-effer in MLB history. All I'm sayin' is, check the crawlspace.

"You don't want to get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner. A rebel."

5 comments:

--David said...

The 1981 Topps Hrabosky. As an impressionable youngin', there are some cards, some faces that you can instantly recall at the mere mention of the name or the set. Hrabosky is near the top of that list.

Even now, his card says, "I win this contest. Got something to say about that?"

CardsRCool said...

Hrabosky. That facial hair had to take some time.

dayf said...

The Mad Hungarian all the way for the Pee-Wee's Big Adventure reference alone.

Steve said...

How do you even say that? Hrabosky

Jesse said...

Handlebar Al.