Thursday, September 13, 2007

Brewers Throwback #1

Tomorrow night I've got tickets to the Brewers-Reds game at Miller Park. Besides the pennant race, it's also Robin Yount Bobblehead Night, probably the foremost game I've been looking forward to all year. I've got my fingers crossed for a blue variant, but we'll see what happens.

In honor of the 25th anniversary of the Brewers World Series team, Friday night games have been retro bobblehead nights. To help celebrate the most hallowed of these giveaways, Im presenting a special treat to readers of this blog. Back in 1983, presumably around Spring Training, the Milwaukee Sentinel (probably, since there were two papers back then, and my family was not a journal family) printed cut-it-out-yourself baseball cards. My parents demonstrated tremendous foresight by clipping these and affixing them to cardboard. Even though I was only four years old then, an almost complete set was saved for me. Out of all of the cards I own, these are probably the ones I would be least likely to part with. Unfortunately, the Yount card is missing. If anybody has one of these, please get in touch with me on this blog.

The first card I'd like to present is Ted Simmons. Ted was in the TV booth for an inning during the 25th anniversary celebration game, and he came across as one of the smartest baseball guys I've ever heard speak. It was a real treat. Hopefully I can find the time to present more of these soon. If you've got the Yount, please, PLEASE drop me a line.

Oh, yeah...I'm hoping to start the quarterfinals of the 1981 Topps Showdown this weekend. Check in and don't forget to vote!

No comments: