Wednesday, October 17, 2007

1981 Topps Tournament -- CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL

Ellis Valentine emerged victorious from his semifinal matchup against Dennis Eckersley, 4-2. Slightly earlier, Al Hrabosky manhandled his Final Four competition, soundly defeating Jack Clark 5-1.

Seed #3 Ellis Valentine (#445) VS. Seed #12 Al Hrabosky (#636)



Here are your victors. Like Indy was told by that old knight watching over all those chalices in Indiand Jones and the Last Crusade said, "Choose wisely."

I'm afraid no words could do this battle justice. I will leave the voting open for one week, and I'll revisit the carnage on October 24 (my birthday, by the way) to give a blow-by-blow account of the action.

Right now, it feels a little liberating to nearly reach the end of this. I wasn't sure I'd be able to see it all the way through, but we're almost there. I'm looking forward to posting more of my Yount collection, along with a few other nice things. Some may stray away a little from cards, but everything is guaranteed to be entertaining.

Decision '07...The Choice is Yours!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's an honor to cast the first vote for dark horse Al Hrabosky. How he was only a 12 seed is a mystery to me. Stupid coaches' polls.

-Kevin

Chris Harris said...

The Mad Hungarian : 1981 Topps Tournament :: George Mason : 2005 NCAA Final Four.

--David said...

After much trepidation, deliberation, and plain old libation, I must cast my vote for the epitome of 1981 style and representation - Mr. Al Hrabosky.

It's been a long, hard fight, and perhaps when you are flat nuts out of your skull once again, you will take up this challenege with a new year, a new set of players, and a new champion to be named in the future!! Then again, maybe not.

dayf said...

Mad Hungarian all the way. What, you expected a Braves fan to vote for an Expo? Besides, I saw this dude pitch and he is every bit as crazy as he looks in this picture. I think he ate a baseball on the mound once.

steve said...

maybe ellis could be re cast as a late 80s, early 90s GI-Joe figurine - the Expo Viper - capable of decimating Snowjob and Lady Jaye with explosive batting donuts hurled from his pugil stick - he gets my vote

NickL said...

i cant stop looking at that white spot.

al hrabosky.

bailorg said...

Not even that modified batting helmet will protect Ellis from the wrath of Hrabosky.

Hrabosky easily gets my vote.

Adam Lisonbee said...

The Mad Hungarian. I have kids I need to protect! And anyway, that 'stache simply blows the mod'ed batting helmet away. Think of all the foreign substances he could hide in it while on the mound!