Monday, October 22, 2007

1981 Topps Tournament -- CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL Halftime Show

Since I couldn't schedule U2 or the Stones for the halftime show, I dug deep into my oddball box for a few snickilicious surprises. These relics come from the place where cards belong, a shoebox. Were it a simpler time, when money was not a part of the equation, all cards would eschew Pocket-Pro and the term "semi-rigid" might not exist. These cards will never be sent off to be graded, like a child to a third-rate summer camp, but they are loved just as dearly, perhaps more.

Let's get started, Up With People is booked as the second act, and the smoke from this show will take a lot of time to clear.

First off, we have Koko B. Ware, the fabulous Bird-Man. While not Main Event material, Koko was an early-card staple in the late 1980s. His hilarious antics delighted young and old alike. From this card, it seems he was particularly popular with the ladies aw well, indicated by the woman in what is most likely an Ocean Pacific sweatshirt reaching out to get her hands on a few square inches of Koko B. Ware's sexy chest.




Up next we have a card chronicling one of the greatest matches of all time, the Wrestlemania III showdown between Randy "Macho Man" Savage and Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat. The feud between the two was months in the making, and if I recall correctly, in one of the matches leading up to this one Macho Man actually performed his patented "Flying Elbow" while holding the bell, with Steamboat as his target. I won't even get into the hijinx between George "The Animal" Steele and Miss Elizabeth here, but this was truly one for the ages, with Steamboat coming out on top and earning the Intercontinental Championship (Thorzul does title belt signifying action here). (Actually, all wrestling after this point, with the exception of select parts of Wrestlemania IV and a few SummerSlam matches, is rendered pointless, as the "sport" reached its zenith the moment Andre the Giant hit the canvas at the hands of Hulk Hogan.)







Last, and most likely least, is a little treat that for some reason I felt necessary to save. This "card" of the Megaloceros was a souvenir from what was apparently a 1986 trip to the Milwaukee Public Museum. How this never got thrown away, I'll never know, but I'm sure that if I was alive 250,000 years ago and I found myself alone in a bog surrounded by wolves, I'd definitely try to hoist myself up on this guy's back.

Come back Wednesday for the crowning of the champion of the 1981 Topps Showdown.

2 comments:

dayf said...

Wowzers... Flip the Megaloceros upside sown and you have Hrabosky's mustache. I want to go find my old WWF cards now. I need a Jake the Snake card to go with my '84 Fleer Glenn Hubbard card.

Anonymous said...

I wonder what happened to my old WWF cards...I had a Wrestlemania I-VI history set and a bunch of individual wrestler cards from 1991 or so...in my oddball box, I still have a Paul Roma and a Macho King Randy Savage.

-Kevin