Sunday, October 14, 2007

1981 Topps Tournament Pre-Game Show

Man, have I been bad at updating this thing! I guess I can tell that the 1981 Topps Showdown is winding down, so I have a little treat for everyone. This sweet little item is tangentially related to cards, so I have no guilt about posting it here.

Here it is, a vintage Pac-Man candy game. Many of the pieces have been ravaged by time, but the method of removal remains as fun as the day this was produced. How many little kids were too hasty to partake in the extraction part of this item, and just ripped off the whole thing and poured all of the Pac-Men directly down their throats? I'm guessing the figure was actually pretty low, taking into account my observations of children's tendencies to play with just about any and every piece of food related material. Me? I would have rocked the shit out of this. The over-under on the total minutes taken to eat all of the candy would have hovered around 650. My mom would have gladly paid the 35 cents to keep me occupied for an entire afternoon and evening.

So, why is this on a card blog?

It was made by Fleer, of course! Too bad a soulless corporation has taken the reins from this company, otherwise I could still hold out hope that similar products would still be produced.

Will I eat any of this candy? Doubtful, but the piece that intrigues me the most is the one about halfway down on the left side. This one:

Part of me wants to know how many types of bacteria I can sneak into my body without dying. Another part of me believes that I should send this to a lab at the University of Wisconsin because the black spots are actually anti-cancer agents.

I love the amount of detail that went into this item. It reminds me of the '80s Fleer cards (1987, I think) that sometimes had great stats like strike zone tendencies and stuff like that.

Were anyone's lips ever on this part? Not knowing the answer to that, I can assure you mine won't be.

Expect the 1981 Topps Tournament Final to arrive early this week!

6 comments:

--David said...

I'd hate to even ask where you found this little gem... But, really, where in the world did you dig this puppy up? BTW, I played it many times as a kid.. Though, I never recall seeing the "replay hole." Man, is that an innuendo waiting to happen...

dayf said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again... THIS IS THE MOST AWESOMELY AWESOME THING EVAR IN THE HISTORY OF AWESOMITUDE!

Holy crap, I'm in 1982! Is that a Majik Market price tag?? Did they have any Fleer NFL Team Action cards and logo sticker packs there too? I'd eat one of the fuzzy Pac-Men just to have the chance to go back to an early 80's convenience store for 15 minutes. Of course I probably would travel in time if I ate one of those things.

Chris Harris said...

"We were somewhere around Milwaukee on the edge of the Great Lakes when the 25-year-old Pac-Man candies began to take hold."

+1 if you can figure out where that quote is derived from.

Thorzul said...

Johnny Depp as Hunter S. Thompson, alongside Benicio del Toro, in Terry Gilliam's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Love the comment.

dayf said...

We can't stop here! This is pac-man country!

Chris Harris said...

I had $300 in cash, most of which was already spent on extremely worthless baseball cards. The trunk of the car looked like a mobile Shop at Home studio. We had two factory sets of '90 Donruss, 75 waxpacks of 1989 Topps, five waxboxes of 1991 Classic Draft Picks, a 800-count box half-full of Casey Candaele rookie cards, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored '90 Topps, '91 Fleer, '88 Score, '94 Stadium Club... and also a set of '81 Donruss, a vending box of '88 Topps, a case of '87 Sportflix, a rack pack of '89 Score and two dozen '93 Donruss Elite Dominators.

Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious junkwax collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

The only thing that really worried me was the '89 Score. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an '89 Score pack busting binge. And I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.