Thursday, November 15, 2007

1981 Fleer Mini-Tournament: Semifinal #1

Not too long ago, I opened a pack of 1981 Fleer baseball cards on the other blog to which I'm a regular contributor, A Pack A Day. While busting this pack, it became apparent to me that another card tournament, albeit a shorter one, was in order. While my '81 Topps Tournament drew from the entire set (which I just completed after receiving the last card I needed this week), several special cards were pulled out from the 15 or so in the pack. By special, I'm talking about cards that capture the essence of the year 1981 so well that they deserve to be enlarged an hung on the walls of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, or slabbed in lucite and housed in the permanent collection at the Smithsonian.

Again, I am asking for your help on this. Just as with my previous contest, I would like to get all of your input on the superior card. Leave your vote in the comments section within a few days of the beginning of the battle.

Let the cartoons...begin.

#66 Denny Walling

The fabled rainbow Astros uniforms are the main culprit here. While some of the 'stros could make them look good (Kevin Bass...I'm looking in your direction), Denny looks like he was just at a Sugar Land Sears location and picked up a pair of boys' Astros pajamas.

#450 Johnnie LeMaster

At the time this picture was taken, Johnnie was 27 different types of high. His moustache was clearly not grown as a conscious decision, but rather as a by-product of several days of forgetfulness. Go ahead...shine a pen light in his eyes. I dare ya.

7 comments:

--David said...

LOL, yeah, I don't think LeMaster could pull off a Bonds there.. Oh, wait, even Bonds didn't pull off a Bonds! Can you say "perjury" boys and girls?

My vote is for the rainbow 'stros uni...

Kevin said...

Wow, love that tequila sunrise jacket. My vote is for Walling, too.

Meril said...

The Walling card epitomizes the turn-of-the-decade design. My vote's for that one.

As for LeMaster, that is one skinny dude. Do ballplayers even come in that shape these days?

dayf said...

Wow. That's one ugly... thing... on Walling. Even worse than that zip up jacket with the big trolley on the sleeve. I vote for Walling.

Andy said...

In the area where I live, there is a chain of supermarkets called "Johnny Foodmaster" (a very odd name indeed) and I always refer to it as "Johnny LeFoodmaster" in honor of that guy. In fact I have a 1986 Topps LeMaster up on my bulletin board.

Steve said...

LeMaster looks like a doppleganger of my freshman year roomate in college who was a fan of the reefer and dropped out after a semester. Were all his throws to first short hops?

bailorg said...

In response to meril, I don't think ordinary adult males are even ever LeMaster's size any more, so I have to vote for LeMaster just for the sheer implausibilty of the whole image from the skinny, almost emaciated look, to the zip down jacket that looks like a cheap knockoff bought at a shady discount outlet, and the pubescent, "I only have a mustache because my father hasn't taught me to shave yet" mustache.