Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Look What Came in the Mail Today! #1

In my undertaking of the impossible quest as a Robin Yount completist, I always have my eyes open on eBay for cards I don't yet have. I recently found Yount's 1986-issued Jay's Potato Chips circular card. I knew it must have existed, because I have a small collection of Brewers, Cubs (blech), and White Sox from this regionally-distributed product. The only caveat was that the Yount I needed was part of an oddball lot. To a collector, this turns out to be a sweet deal, a chance to grab something new and unusual. Here's what arrived in my mailbox for $0.99 plus shipping:

The Yount. Great shape. I had the tendency to use cards like these as separators in 800-count boxes and more bending than a Chinese acrobat would take place.


1986 Jay's Tom Seaver. Someone mistook this for a chip and bit it. Still, I'll take it, as Seaver wasn't part of my original collection.


1986 Slurpee Triple Stars Mattingly/Ripken/K. Hernandez. The scan isn't that great, but you do get the impression of what Donnie Baseball and Cal would look like if they shared the same face and were able to look in opposite directions. Slurpee was once where collecting began and ended. I'd love to see a return of this.


My last treasue came in this penny sleeve. It's been a while since I've seen one this filthy. Several types of bacteria, mold, and/or fungus line both the inner and outer surfaces of this card protection device. Unfortunately, my haz-mat suit was out to the cleaners, so I had to forge ahead undaunted.

Inside is a 1979 Kellogg's 3-D Superstars card of Mario Guerrero. I have to admit, I've never heard of the guy until now, but who could turn down that Harry Reems mustache and the shocking yellow jersey? I love it!

I'm also a big fan of the back of this card. Not only do you get a graphic of an old-style Tony the Tiger, but the disease-ridden detritus from the sleeve seems to have attached itself to the card. There are probably T-206 Honus Wagner cards in better shape than this, but it will not stop me from displaying it proudly.

Do I want the whole set? No, because that would ruin the charm, the same way a magazine bought off the store shelf is so much better than one that comes to your home in a subsciption. Why? Frivolity.

Last add: Guerrero lists one if his hobbies as music. That's so incredibly vague, and I'll bet that if you asked him what kind of music he listened to, he'd say "All kinds." And he'd mean it.

No comments: