Sunday, November 25, 2007

Trade Me Anything!! Trade #3

"A veritable slice of Americana." These were the words of some random college guy with whom a group of people and I were watching a particularly rousing episode of Jerry Springer. The phrase also applies to the generous assortment of cards sent in this trade, which comes from Andrew in Massachusetts.

Giving: #278 Classic Combo Jorge Posada, Derek Jeter, and Alex Rodriguez; 1990 Topps #676 Randy Kutcher

Getting: 1973 Topps #272 Ed Farmer, 1974 Topps #11 Jim Bibby, 1980 Topps #222 Ron Hassey, 1986 Topps #10 Tony Gwynn, 2007 Topps Target-only Ted Williams insert #TW27, 2007 Goudey #49 Jake Peavy (Red Back), 2007 Topps Turkey Red #37 Richard Nixon, 2007 UD Masterpieces #33 Chase Utley

Pluses:
*Variety. Whether it's music, comic books, or candy, I get bored with the same old thing over and over, no matter how good it is. This trade kept me on my toes.

*Nostalgia. When I first "came of age" (card-specifically), I was amazed to find a shoebox full of 1973 and 1974 Topps that my mom had collected. Among these were a Winfield rookie and a Mike Schmidt second year. These cards are so chock full of great facts, such as Farmer's performance in Puerto Rican League winter ball. Could you imagine players doing that today?

*Nixon. I'm a sucker for oddball stuff, and this one is right up there with this year's crop. Have I spent more than $10 on a card containing a piece of Kerri Walsh's swimsuit? I'm not ashamed to say I have. Will I go after a Ken Jennings relic someday? Sure. Do I lust after a piece of Keith Olberman's tie? No. That's where I draw the line.

Minuses:
*The only thing that I can think of is that I already have the complete 1986 Topps set, so the Gwynn is a double. But since it's plain for all to see that Tony is demonstrating for LaMarr Hoyt the proper grip for a fastball, that turns the card back into a plus. Great trade! So good, in fact, that I'm throwing in an extra player to be named later from one of my Pack A Day posts, Randy Kutcher. He's not a relief pitcher, but he's got a mullet, which I like to call a "Randy." I believe this will be explained at some point in the future on this blog.

As a P.S., I have to say that I love what I'm getting so far. This experiment works strictly by the honor system, kind of like when your high school teacher let you give yourself a grade on something. So far everyone has been really honest and has given in direct proportion to what they're getting. If any new readers want in on this, directions for Trade Me Anything are here.

2 comments:

Tony Brown said...

Kerri Walsh? I would prefer Kerri Strug.

Andy said...

By the way, I am the trading partner here and I write for the Stat of the Day blog at Baseball-Reference.com. Thanks.