Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Card-vent Calendar, Dec. 17

December 17, 2007: 1988 Starting Lineup B.J. Surhoff

Although the last post centered around the hate I've been feeling towards the world for the last 48 hours or so, this next one is a little more cheerful. Not too long ago, I won an eBay auction for a couple of Robin Yount Starting Lineup figurines for a very reasonable price. As a Yount completist, I simply had to have these (the 1988 and 1990 versions, for those wondering). I actually owned the 1989 Yount when I was younger, and it got played with, of course, but my favorite to use to do battle with my He-Man guys and G.I. Joes was B.J. Surhoff.

The cool thing about his figure was his defensive rendering. Surhoff was depicted with his back to the plate, mask in hand, glove high and ready to catch a sky-high pop up. Although the shoulder stripes were always misaligned on the jersey when the following pose was used, I always liked to display my Surhoff with his glove down at his side and the catchers mask above his head ready to snag the ball. For a ten-year-old, that' about as sophisticated as humor can get.

Here's my other B.J. Surhoff story. It was probably 1990 or 1991 or so. The collector's high of seeing B.J., an actual Brewer, touted as a Future Star in the 1987 Topps set had worn off long ago. Yet for some reason my brother, probably seven years of age at the time, really wanted that rookie. We walked down to Stadium Sports Cards on Fond du Lac Avenue on Milwaukee's northwest side, we find the card is a binder full of Brewers, and he blurts out to the dealer, "My brother says this card is 50 cents." The dealer promptly licked his chops and sold it for the quoted price, probably well above book value at that time. There's a special moment this long-ago dealer will experience in purgatory where the balance very well may tip in favor of eternal damnation based on this incident.

1 comment:

Tony Brown said...

Don't remember that. Though I think I won in the long run.