Monday, December 31, 2007

Top 5 Pulls of 2007 #5

Now that it's New Year's Eve, it's time to set aside our petty differences, look past the color of one's skin, and reflect on the great pulls, both retail and hobby, that one has made over the course of 2007. While most media outlets favor lists in multiples of 10, I'm going to stop at 5. Did I pull more than five great cards over the past year? Not really, but this year was a learning experience, a series of 365 days that firmly planted me back into the hobby I had abandoned around 1994. In retrospect, it was one of the smartest things I had ever done.

Speaking of smart things, here are my top 5 moments of 2007:
5. Reaching my goal of working out for 1,000 minutes during the month of October. Sure, I tried and failed in August and September (coming heart-breakingly close), but my body looks like it's eighteen again.
4. Completing the 2007 Topps Heritage set. Those short prints were a bastard, but I finally made it.
3. Buying a Wii before the hype got to it.
2. Renting a flat that, at the time of signing, looked like hell, but turned out to be gorgeous.
1. Getting engaged. The date is set, the hall is rented, the tux is fitted.

Enough with the Lifetime Network B.S., let's talk cards.

The fifth best pull of 2007...

Card: 2007 Topps Updates and Highlights #SQ1 Poley Walnuts
From: Hobby Box

While others have been hating on this card and this set, I probably had the most fun with the U&H out of anything else this year. Finally there was a Generation Now that didn't immediately turn into eBay bait (Prince Fielder), the subsets were cool, the red backs led to the creation of Trade Me Anything, and I finally got a chase card. So what if it was one that was ridiculed?

To be painfully honest, I wasn't even the one to open the pack with this card in it. It was the woman. Every once in a while, despite a lack of real enthusiasm in "carding," as she calls it, she asks to open a couple of packs. I'm pretty sure her words were "What the heck is this?" when this little nut-eater appeared. Good for her. Actually, she's pretty great when it comes to going to card shows with me. (And as probably the only attractive woman in the whole hall, she has a certain knack for talking the price of cards down, which is nice.)

1 comment:

dayf said...

Heh, you got the Squirrel, I got Ellsbury... we just need to find a blogger who got Lefty Joba and we'll be the Updates Short Print Three Amigos.