Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Trade Me Anything!! Trade #9

Today's trade comes from Mike in Connecticut.

Giving:UH288 Vladimir Guerrero Home Run Derby
Getting: 1997 Pinnacle Ken Griffey, Jr. "Goin' Jake"; 1990 Donruss #37 Greg Vaughn Rated Rookie


Pluses:
*Any Griffey is a good Griffey.

*Getting any Rated Rookie makes me sentimental for my early collecting days. Earlier this year I finally finished putting together the 1990 Donruss set. The collecting obsession begat other obsessions of mine, namely the catalouging of my cards. I still have the weird ribbed, vanilla-colored paper that this list was written on. This mania reached ludicrous heights as I hand-wrote all 716 card numbers, plus the name, team, and position of each player I got. At that time, I even wote the price next to each entry. Hard to believe, but there was a time when #70 Junior Felix would run you a cool 75 cents. This was as much as a Canseco, way more than a Kirk Gibson (8 cents), but not even close to a Todd Zeile ($2.50). Ahh, the days of the 8-cent pricing.

Minuses:
*I am giving up one of my favorite cards of the Updates and Highlights set. This was actually the first year I watched the whole Home Run Derby. There are a couple of reasons for this: First, my man Prince was taking part. Second, I have cable TV for the first time since I was in college. Vlad was impressive that night, but I hold out hope that Fielder can take it home some year.

*The phrase "Goin' Jake." I hate that term. Or any derivitave of the term "dinger." Or anything vaguely genital in nature, like "dong." "Blast" is OK. "Yard" is not. "Walk-off" is stupid. In fact, let's just leave it at "home run."

2 comments:

--David said...

I agree with you on the "walk-off." A home run is a home run. And, why do they say "yard" when we measure everything in feet, anyway? Though I am a Tribe fan, I hate "Goin Jake" which only serves to make me think of trucks using their engines to slow down, making a loud noise.... Of course, there are the "names" people use too: Jack, Jake, Homer... Dumb.

steve said...

Nice Caracara