Saturday, January 26, 2008

Mmmmmmmm...cards. #2

As a rule, I try never to post any dirty, stinking Cubs on this site. Today, seeing as it's the off-season and all, I'm making an exception.

1986 Jays Ryne Sandberg (No Number)

Technically, this guy never played against my Brewers. Actually, I'm not sure about that. He retired for good after the 1997 season, which was the first to see interleague play. This was also the last season Milwaukee played in the American League. Did the Brewers play the Cubs in '97? Who knows, but what I do know is that this man is no enemy of mine..

This card is actually one in a bunch I acquired from my cousins on my mom's side of the family. Our play area back in '86 was primarily a semi-finished basement (with sump-pump). The toys were stored in close proximity to several industrial cleansers and cans of paint, which might explain the peach-colored stain near the top of this card. I'm sure this was a regionally distributed set, as all of the cards I have are Brewers, Cubs, and White Sox. This one is beat up, mis-cut, and treasured.

If you're looking for a Sandberg of a little higher quality, check out my auction here.

3 comments:

White Sox Cards said...

The Cubs played the Brewers on June 13, 14 & 15 in 1997 at Wrigley Field. Sandberg played in all three games. The Brewers won the first game, the Cubs won the last two.

Andy said...

Steve beat me to it, but at least here's a link to the games:

http://www.bb-ref.com/pi/shareit/kbUu

thewritersjourney said...

Ryno went 2-9 with a double and 3 walks against the Brew Crew in '97.