Saturday, January 5, 2008

Top 5 Pulls of 2007 #2

Today's pull is a special card, the first autograph I pulled after re-entering the hobby earlier in the year.

Card: 2007 Topps Heritage #ROA-JL Joe Lonnett
From: Target Blaster Box

After opening the pack this card was in, I remember being so surprised I nearly dropped it. I had never heard of Joe Lonnett, and after looking him up, I still had no idea what business he had being on any 2007 baseball card, much less with his signature on it. A little research showed that Topps was doing a small run of signature cards of guys whose last card was came in 1958.

In four seasons Joe's cumulative batting average was a smoking .166. To put it in perspective, that was well behind the career mark of the much-maligned Bob Uecker (.200). Still, I'm sure there were a ton of young guys back in the '50s (as I'm sure there are now, too) who scramble and claw and try to make their way into the big leagues, but never make it. That's part of what makes this card so great, and why it was my second-best pull of 2007.

7 comments:

William said...

I've pulled a few no-name old timers in Topps packs in the past few years -- Joe Presko and Vern Law ring a bell. It's fun to look up their bios and realize that even though they might've been 2-6 with a 6.32 ERA, their lives were interesting then and since.

dayf said...

Sweet! I pulled an Elroy Face auto from a Heritage set a few years back. These old-timer autos are really cool.

Joe said...

To show my age, I had that card when it was originally released in '58. An interesting tidbit about Lonnett. Joe Lonnett hit 5 home runs in the month of July 1957 as the Phils took over first place in the NL. He hit his 6th in July of 1959. This is the most home runs by any MLB player who hit all of his home runs in the same month of the year.

Scott said...

I have not heard of that player before, but it seems like a real cool card. One of the nice things about the retro cards like these, is learning about players that we wouldn't otherwise be aware of.

White Sox Cards said...

Nice pull!

b_wackerlin said...

Sweet, I just pulled that exact same auto card out of a hobby box last night! I was looking for info on old Joe and came across your website. There were only 200 copies of this card made, so we're in select company. I dig these old-timers, and love learning something new from my baseball card hobby. Also, I have some of your baseball wants on my website www.baseballcardstars.com if you want. Best Regards! Brad W.

Anonymous said...

It is great to see these comments about a man I know differently. He is my great uncle who always had time for the kids in the family. After he made it home to coach the Pirates if you wanted to go to a game all you had to do was ask. When of the best things in my life was when I took my girlfriends 12 year old son to sprig training Pirates/Yankees game and Uncle Joe took about an hour showing him how to throw and hit the ball. He took a picture with Uncle Joe's World Series ring on his finger and told me this was the best day of his life and there was Uncle Joe as excited as ever teaching a kid and he was in his late 70's. He still gets requests for an autograph to this day and never passes up the chance to talk baseball.