Thursday, February 28, 2008

"...or play Mortal Kombat with a friend in Vietnam!"

A couple of days ago on A Pack a Day I posted a pack of 1993 Donruss Triple Play. Not the greatest product, but gimmicky as all get-out, typical of mid-1990s card-dom.

Last night I had the idea to engage anyone reading this blog in a friendly game of baseball using the game card that came in this pack. This is the true nexus of web interactivity that Jim Carrey's character was so ecstatic about in The Cable Guy.
Here's how this will work. I get to be the Twins, which means that I get to go first. Here's the original, unscratched game piece.

I'll start the action. Space choices will be called by standard grid coordinates. I'm going for (2, 3) on this turn. [That's over 2, up 3, for all of the slower individuals out there.)

Heck yes, TRIPLE!
It's still my turn. I'm going for (1, 6).

Strike Out. BATCH! Guess that's one out, man on third.

Next play: (4, 8)

Single. There's some Ned Yost baseball for you...Get 'em on, get 'em over, get 'em in.
Thorzul: 1
Readers: 0

Man on first, one out.
I choose (3,7).

Triple, baby! That puts me up 2-0, with a man on third, still only one out.
Next: (2, 4)

Single. Sorry folks, just guess I'm lucky today. This is actually getting boring by myself here. The interactivity needs to start soon.
Thorzul: 3
Readers: 0

Man on first, one out.
Maybe sending Scott Leius in will help you guys get out of this inning. I'm calling (3, 3)

Fly Out. There's some relief for you. Still 3-0, runner on first, two out.
(2, 2)

Strike Out. That brings an end to a pretty wild top of the first. Three runs, four hits, one left on base...at the end of one half inning, it's Thorzul 3, Readers coming up.

Now the fun begins. If you want to play, post your scratch-off choice in the comments. The first commenter after each new play is revealed will get to decide which square they want. A new play is open for the choosing after Thorzul posts "Batter up!" in the comments section. I will do my best to identify the responder whose play is used. After that, the game will pretty much take care of itself. There might be long stretches where nothing happens, since I will most likely be out and about tonight, but I will be checking in from time to time. Heck, this thing might not even get wrapped up until tomorrow, so let's not stress about it.

What I need to ask you now is: "Will you be the the J.F. Sebastian to my Eldon Tyrell?"

Batter up!

To start off the bottom of the first, dayf picked (4, 2)

That's a pop out, ladies and gentlemen. One out, nobody on base.
Mike S. was the first responder, choosing (1, 8).

DOUBLE! That puts a runner in scoring position with one out.
Thorzul returns from the gym and the game continues. Roof_God keeps it close to the origin, going with (1, 1).

Fly Out. You guys are so screwed. Two outs, man on second.
After Thorzul's break for "Lost" and hanging out with friends, dayf cuts in line, points to the right field bleachers and call his shot: (2, 7)

HOME RUN! Two runs score as the home team Angels work some two-out magic.
Thorzul: 3
Readers: 2

White Sox Cards comes back after an insanely long rain delay. He chooses (3, 4).

Swing and a miss, strike three! Let's take a look at the scoreboard after one complete inning.
Thorzul: 3
Readers: 2


My turn. We're sending Dan Gladden up to bat. (2, 1)

It's a sky-high pop-up, caught by the Angels catcher.
The Twins send Kirby Puckett to the mound with one out, nobody on. (4, 3)

Two pitches, two pop outs. (2, 6)

HOME RUN!!! A deep, solo blast to left give Thorzul the lead, 4-2.
By the way, that was Shane Mack, everybody. Shane Mack.
Can Chuck Knoblauch extend the inning? (1, 4)

He does, with an inside-the-park double! Wait...what?! That doesn't make sense! The mercury from the scratch-offs must have started seeping into my pores.
Man on second, two out. (3, 8)

Pedro Munoz strikes out to end the inning.
Thorzul: 4
Readers: 2


This just in! Dan Gladden not a 1992 Twin! Tigers up in arms as Gladden signs a 1-day contract with notoriously unethical owner Thorzul. Details to follow.

To start the bottom of the second, dayf takes advantage of a lapse in concentration on the part of one of his teammates, thereby earning himself his third at bat in the first two innings. He boldly goes with (3, 5)

Bunt Single! Will this trickery never cease? Runner on first, no outs.
Mike S. sends Hubie Brooks up to bat, aiming for (4, 4).

A fly out keeps the runner at first with one away.
Play resumes today with White Sox Cards choosing (3, 1).

Tough luck, readers, ground out. Two outs with a runner on first.
The next batter is Russ, who selects (1, 5).

Russ blasts a triple, allowing dayf to score. This cuts Thorzul's lead to one with two away in the bottom of the second.
Mike S. inserts Luis Polonia into the lineup, hoping for a little pop out of his bat. (4, 1)

It's a little corrosive and hard to make out, but it looks like a ground out. End of inning.
Thorzul: 4
Readers: 3

Third inning coming up.

Let's kick off the top of the third with something good. I call (3, 2).

Rats! Pop out. Let's tray again at (1, 2).

Single. Excellent! I've got a man on first with one out. Judging from how many spaces are left, this thing might get out of the readers' reach in a hurry. Let's put some more men on at (1, 7).

Fly Out. This puts up my possible last batter with two outs, one on. I call (4, 5).

Walk! The Angels pitcher can't handle the pressure ladies and gentlemen! Runners at first and second with two down. Maybe we have a big stick coming up. (4, 7)

Strike out! Big Whiffah! That strands two in the top of the third. The readers get their last ups starting right now!
Thorzul: 4
Readers: 3


Leading off the bottom of the third, White Sox Cards decides to try to scrape a few runs together, beginning with (3, 6).

Strike Out! One away, nobody on base.
Shanediaz82, a newcomer to this game, steps into the batter's box. A couple of taps with the bat to his cleats and he calls space (2, 8).

Strike Out! The crowd instinctively rises to their feet in anticipation of the final out. Are there any late-game heroics in store?
Reader David adheres to the proper batting order procedures and chooses (4, 6).

A walk postpones the inevitable. One on, two out. A triple or better is needed to tie the game.
White Sox Cards chooses (2, 5).

tworunhomerungameoverreaderswin
Thorzul: 4
Readers: 5


Thanks for playing everyone! I vow never to do this exact thing again.

46 comments:

dayf said...

Awesome! I pick (4,2)

Thorzul said...

Batter up!

Mike S said...

(1,8) Go Chad Curtis!

White Sox Cards said...

(3,4)

Thorzul said...

Batter up!

roof_god said...

1,1 please

Brian said...

now batting 5th....

3,1

Thorzul said...

Batter up!

dayf said...

2, 7 = RBI for dayf

Thorzul said...

Batter up!

Brian said...

crap. I got pinch hit for. Oh well, I guess it was a homer...

White Sox Cards said...

(3,4) as I find my place in line.

Thorzul said...

Batter up!

Andy said...

4,2

Thorzul said...

(4, 2) has already been chosen.

Batter up!

dayf said...

(3,5)

Thorzul said...

Batter up!

Mike S said...

Call on Hubie Brooks to pinch-hit. (4,4)

Thorzul said...

Batter up!

dayf said...

Don't strand me out there... Get me home!

Mike S said...

Should've gone with Von Hayes.

White Sox Cards said...

(3,1)

Thorzul said...

Batter up!

Russ said...

(1,5)

dayf said...

Can I steal second like Babe Ruth in the 1926 World series? Wait, bad example. never mind.

Thorzul said...

Batter up!

Mike S said...

We need a real hitter to come through here. Luis Polonia, (4,1).

--David said...

I pick (4,6)

Thorzul said...

Batter up!

White Sox Cards said...

(3,6)

Thorzul said...

Batter up!

shanediaz82 said...

(2,8)

Thorzul said...

Batter up!

--David said...

HEY, I was robbed! I said 4,6 a few players back. I cry foul!!

Thorzul said...

Hey, there's no cutting in on my turns.

--David said...

ROTFL.. Oh, sorry! :-) I thought I replied at the top of the third...

Thorzul said...

Batter up!

White Sox Cards said...

(2,5) Hoping to redeem myself.

dayf said...

(Hi fives fellow slugger Steve)

--David said...

Wahoo!

White Sox Cards said...

I'd just like to thank my teammates. Without them, none of this would be possible.

For the past few days you have been reading about the bad breaks I got at the plate. Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth.

Yo, Adrian! We did it!

Russ said...

Are there scratch off squares for the type of celebration we're doing at home plate?

Anonymous said...

At last, I could find this article again. You have few [url=http://tipswift.com]useful tips[/url] for my school project. Now, I won't forget to bookmark it. :)

Anonymous said...

Electronic memory,to me, is something that I seem to be unable to ever have enough of. It feels like megabytes and gigabytes have become an inseparable part of my every day existence. Ever since I bought a Micro SD Card for my DS flash card, I've been on the constant lookout for high memory at low prices. I feel like I'm going insane.

(Submitted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://www.leetboss.com/video-games/r4i-r4-sdhc-nintendo-ds]R4i[/url] HomeBrow)

Anonymous said...

buy bactrim buy bactrim without prescription buy bactrim online buy bactrim f buy bactrim es online without prescription buy bactrim without a prescription overnight
[url=http://bactrim.eventbrite.com/]buy bactrim [/url]
glucophage side effects how to take glucophage buy glucophage glucophage glucophage metformin glucophage recall glucophage insulin resistance
[url=http://takeglucophage.eventbrite.com/]how to take glucophage [/url]
generic 5mg proscar cheap painful erection proscar muscle atrophy proscar side effects buy proscar proscar and flomax taken together proscar for hair loss proscar ejaculate
[url=http://proscar.eventbrite.com/]generic proscar [/url]
treat impotence impotence advice levitra sale levitra dangers discount levitra levitra medicine how does levitra work
[url=http://virb.com/yalevi]impotency [/url]
http://takeglucophage.eventbrite.com/

Anonymous said...

Today is my lucky day :)
Apple is giving review copies of iPad to 100 lucky person. Go to http://bit.ly/d9QOON and apply for it.