Monday, February 25, 2008

Sticker Collecting: The Measure of a Man

In case anyone was wondering where the stickers went...







...I...um...have them all.

Disaster was averted a couple of weekends ago as some basement flooding failed to claim a large box of collectable stickers as a victim.

On A Pack a Day, dayf's recent post made me make sure to go check these were okay. From now on they will live on the kitchen table.

How, you ask, does one reach the summit of Sticker Mountain? Well, you have two choices, really. You can take the southerly Schmidt's Pass (which is actually a mint condition completed 1987 Topps sticker album next to my original album, whose cover is now long gone). The bravest among us, however, might opt to use the westerly route, beginning by scaling Pete's Peak (half a box of 1986 Topps stickers, plus the completed album).

Geologically speaking, Sticker Mountain is constructed out of 11 full and cello-wrapped boxes of 1987 Topps sticker packs (100 ct. each), plus another half-opened box, a fully-opened box of test-issue hardbacks, as well as an unseen half-opened box of 1989 Panini Football stiickers.

5 comments:

dayf said...

(gawks)

(drools a bit)

Lauren said...

This picture led me to purchase a 1983 topps sticker album (the first one I ever completed yet lost forever) and an assload o' stickers. After I complete my book I would be interested in a 83 for 87 sticker box trade. Let me know.

Oddball Card Guy said...

Nice, the magical land of stickerdom...

Do I spot black magic marker on those boxes? Why do eighties Topps boxes always seem to have some sort of black magic marker on them? Was that convenience store guys way of doing inventory checks?

Oddball Card guy said...

Oh and for the record my first Topps baseball sticker album was '82....

Lauren said...

On further review I figured out the first album I owned (but didn't complete, and lost forever)was also the '82. I remember the foil all-stars featured some of the ugliest men ever photographed. Pete Rose,George Foster,and Bruce Sutter instantly come to mind.