Sunday, March 9, 2008

My Rosebushes

It's been what feels like ages since I've posted here. That scratch-off game really took a lot out of me, apparently, but now my elbow has been iced down properly and I'm ready to go.

Baseball season is really bearing down upon us, so I thought I'd haul out one of the nicer little items I got during the 2007 season.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is a Prince Fielder throwback pin, a Miller Park "tradeaway" available to only the shrewdest of fans. During select home dates last season a promotion was put on where some charitable group collected school supplies in return for a player pin. Not too bad of a deal, if you ask me. A box of Crayolas and a bottle of Elmer's for a rare Prince item? Sign me up! Actually, I've never even seen any of these up on eBay whenever I've checked. I've also got a Suppan and a Rickie Weeks, but this is the crown jewel for my lapel.

Since me blogging break, 2008 Heritage has also been released. This was really the set that got me back into collecting last year, and I've decided to focus almost solely upon this set for 2008. I've already decided to hold out until November or December to get the Topps factory set. After all, if last year they included game-used Mantle stuff, who knows what will be accompanying the base set this year.
The problem is this: In early February I bought and paid for a couple of boxes from a very reputable eBay seller. As of this posting, I'm still waiting for them to arrive. Three email inquiries have gone unanswered. I've even gotten in touch with other customers who have bought and received the same item, and they love this guy's service. This has been stressing me out for the last week or so, as I haven't been able to get my hands on the cards I most desire.

Flash forward to yesterday. I took a trip to Target, holding out little hope that I'd be able to find some '08 Heritage. The usual card area was a bust, so I decided to take a stroll around the store.
And then, there it was. Sitting amid the Yu-Gi-Oh! packs and 9-pocket sleeves at the end of the toy section(!) were three retail boxes of Heritage, the only sport cards in the entire area. My theory is that an employee was hiding these for a friend, just in case they sold out quickly.
Nuts to you, bitch!

Anyways, here's the only 2008 Heritage card I'll be posting, a sweet Prince Baseball Thrills highlight card. Awesome.

Why is this the only Heritage I'm posting? Perhaps Tom Hanks can explain it better than I can.
video

No comments: