Monday, April 21, 2008

Americana: A Love Connection With Cards

Just throw this one on the ever-growing $.99 pile.
Shortly after receiving this card, I had a serendipitous moment involving the Game Show Network. Upon my first viewing of the channel (which lies out in the boonies of my package, far removed from 654's FSC), a show called "Lingo" was on. Chuck was the host, but he really didn't handle all of the hosting duties. There was some other hot chick sitting at a computer. She actually seemed pretty smart, inserting the wry comment here and there. Poor Chuck was just going through the motions. It was kind of like watching Jose Canseco show up on a Devil Rays card. We all know he's past his prime; we just didn't realize how far.

2007 Donruss Americana #92 Chuck Woolery Pants Relic (047/250)

Actually, my most vivid Chuck Woolery moment was not disseminated through the medium of television, but the miracle of videotape. Let me set the scene: Seventh grade. Catholic school (which I attended before public high school). My class had earned a reward party one Friday afternoon for good behavior. The deal was, we kids brought in the snacks, the teacher picked the movie.

The film she chose was called The Prize. While IMDb has no record whatsoever of this film, I was able to find a synopsis elsewhere: "A talented newcomer to the world of free- style stunt skiing, sacrifices nearly everything to win - including his own soul. It's a captivating film about winning by coming to know Christ as the prize." Does anyone out there perhaps own a copy of this film? And how does one add to the IMDb anyways?
So...yeah...you can guess how that one went over with the room full of 13-year-olds.

Great poster, huh?

My handling of this card up to this point has been very careful. I'm not sure on the exact square inch-age of the average pair of pants, but I don't really want to take a gamble on this one. Please, please don't let this fabric be from the crotchal region. The placement of the swatch star suggests otherwise.

No comments: