Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Dr. Steve's Doctored Cards #1

During last Sunday's Easter festivities, I got to see my good friend Steve and his family. In a pleasant surprise, Steve came to brunch armed with a Zip-Loc baggie filled with a stack of cards from the early 1990s.

Okaaaaaay...
What's so great about that, you ask?
Well, all of the cards were altered with a 12-year-old-or-so Steve's artistic flourishes and quick wit. Inspired by "Sports Illustrated for Kids," these cards are flat-out awesome. Buzz Beamer would have been proud.
While I can't claim any of the artistic credit for these cards, I can verify that these are all vintage. None of these cards have been doctored very long since their shelf date. I'll start out slow, saving some of the best for last. Believe me, these will build to an ear-shattering crescendo. Without further ado...

1991 Fleer #113 Kevin Romine

This card represents some of the first few credits in Dr. Steve's PhD. matriculation. An art gum eraser and some Bic medium points comprised his lab materials.
"What the heck is in there," Kevin Romine? Probably the first few inches of your hairline, from the looks of it.
All I know is that the efforts from my youth cannot hold a candle to what will be coming up on future posts. Keep yourself posted.

No comments: