Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Doomsday Scenario: What Do You Save?

The reason I haven't blogged here or on A Pack A Day recently has much to do with the severe weather that hit southeastern Wisconsin this past weekend. While watching a weather bulletin, a particularly close lightning strike knocked out my cable and internet, frying the AT&T U-Verse gateway, and keeping me virtually cut off from civilization until tonight.

While the warnings were ominous, things turned out pretty good around the old Thorzul household. The water that entered my basement was minimal enough to be cleaned up with a single towel. Not bad for a 92-year-old house, eh? Elsewhere in the state, particularly around the waterslide mecca known as The Dells, crazy stuff was happening, among them the drainage of the entire contents of Lake Delton. That's right... it got emptied. The water got so high that it actually carved out its own river, joining soon with another river.

In my haste to secure my belongings, I grabbed a handful of cards I really didn't want to lose and brought them into a safer area of my home. Could I live without them? Sure. But it would have been a loss for all of humanity if one of my Robin Yount "1 of 1" cards would have been lost or damaged. I also grabbed a strongbox containing important papers such as my passport and birth certificate. Along with that came the card seen below, with several others.

2007 Donruss Americana Greta Garbo Hollywood Legends Personally-Worn Dress Swatch #HL-7 (040/350)

Sure, it made sense to me to save the Garbo, but after the storm passed, I was astonished to find that I had grabbed a real pile of crap. Among all of my really good Americana cards, I also stashed away a bunch of 2008 Topps Heritage inserts. What was I thinking? I didn't even grab any of my Yount binders! A treasure trove of autographed, low-numbered Robin Yount memorabilia cards was left to fend for itself, but that ever-so-important Hunter Pence Chrome was protected like it was Georges Seurat's A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte.

This aversion of disaster (and in no way is this meant to make light of the suffering of any midwestern flood victims) got me to thinking about an excellent discussion topic, the type of blog conversation that includes hundreds of posts and goes on for months at a time. Here's the scenario: A tornado (or hurricane, wildfire, etc.) is headed straight for your house. All of your other belongings are somehow save, as are your loved ones. All that's left in the house are your cards. You have five minutes to pack a waterproof, fireproof, windproof box that will emerge from the damage unscathed. The box is (instead of a 5000-count box) the length and width of a pizza box, and about as high as a shoebox, and has no partitions (so larger-scale items can fit).

What do you pack?

10 comments:

Russ said...

My 1982 Topps set, 1993 UD Set, my autographed card binder, my braves card binder, my 1971 Nolan Ryan, 74 Schmidt and the cards from the 50s and 60s that I have.

Russ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matt said...

Rutgers binder, along with the few Rutgers cards that have merited screw cases.

Everything else is expendable in a complete emergency.

NMboxer said...

Good question! Our daughter's collection of 104 autographed cards (not that she counts them), and the cards we've received from other bloggers.

--David said...

I believe (and pray I never need to test this theory) that in 5 minutes, I could fill such a box by emptying the binders I have by releasing the card pages into said storage box. Though, looking at them now, I'm not sure all twenty-eight 1-inch binder contents and two 3-inch binder contents would fit! AUGH... Okay, that means I would scramble to save the two 3-inch binders that have my "Autos, Stickers, and Oddballs" plus my 1997 binder. Why '97? All those blasted Score Indians sets that I've been working YEARS to complete! No way could I replace those - I can't even accumulate them all yet! Oh, and my 1800-1959 binder. All that should fit in a pizza box the depth of a shoebox... I may have to test that just to be sure!

dayf said...

Chipper Jones shoebox, Vintage Braves Binder (1909-1969) as many of my '50s Topps binders as will fit (David has a good idea about losing the binders and keeping the sheets) and finally dump in as many loose pre-war vintage cards and Braves inserts as possible to fill up the box. Oh and the Jordan Rookie assuming I can remember where I hid it. I can sell that sucker to rebuild the Braves collection.

William said...

I already have a box like this that contains all my "valuable" cards [mostly autos and game-used]. Other than that, I'd save my Richard Hidalgo cards [yes, he's my favorite player and I have roughly 500-600 cards of him].

The sewingmachineguy said...

I would grab my Barry Sanders collection along with my Tigers books, and my Kirby Puckett book (don't know why i love Kirby, but i do).

bailorg said...

I suppose I'd take the two binders I put together in my youth (one full of Nolan Ryan cards, and one of general cards I liked). Additionally I'd take my 1979 Topps set, 1980 Topps set, and any of the subsequent Topps sets I can fit in.

Bay Rat North West said...

Having been through this, twice, I learned that large plastic totes make the best storage. Those three dollar ones from Family Dollar with the lids. Just cram stuff in and duct tape the lids to waterproof them. Those bad boys can float with 20 2 in. binders in them.