Monday, August 25, 2008

Topps Redemption Saga

About two weeks ago I received some redemption cards from Topps. I must say that I was impressed by the turnaround speed of this deal. It was probably no more than three weeks from the time I mailed the redemption cards until I received the real ones in the mail. You might remember one of the cards I pulled from this post.

Well, here it is.

The problem is, here's what Topps used to send me this card.

If you can't tell, those are three quarters fitting snugly into a multi-card top loader. Great work, Topps. You send me a valuable autographed card halfway across the country, but you package it about as safely as Harry delivered those show dogs in Dumb and Dumber. Wonderful. The card is less than a millimeter thick, but Topps sees fit to seal it inside what would pass for a luxury apartment in Tokyo. Granted, there is only the slightest bit of edge wear along the black-bordered side, but this is ridiculous. I did get another autographed card from Topps, but it arrived in a separate package and was carefully placed in a regular top loader. What even make this more ridiculous is that the Marmol/Soto card was sent via certified mail while the other one wasn't. Now while Topps may claim that they make no assertions as to the future value of their cards, they clearly made a distinction between the two that they sent to me. Two big-name stars means I had to go to the post office and sign my name at least three times. A no-name rookie (Daniel Moskos, BDP&P '07) just gets put in my mailbox. This means that Topps recognized the inherent value of their product, yet chose to package it in a fashion that had a high likelihood of sustaining damage. By the way, this card is now up for bid on eBay. I just couldn't live with myself with this card infecting my collection.

At the same time all of this is happening, I find myself buying fewer new cards this year. I still haven't pulled the trigger on the 2008 factory set, and this might not ever happen. There's only really one set I'm willing to take a run at completing (Heritage, but just barely), and I'm willing to predict that this will continue into the future. I foresee more money being spent on older cards than newer ones. And while we're on the subject of finances, why don't you take a look at my fiancee's jewelry store. Help Thorzul pay for his wedding in November. Pick out something nice for your wife/girlfriend/mom/whoever. She makes really good stuff that you and your significant others are guaranteed to like.

Topps, this is for you: Boooooo!

2 comments:

Matthew said...

Thorzul,

I don't understand the depths of your hatred for the Cubs. Disliking your rival is one thing, but you've taken your hatred to another level. I am a Cubs fan, but while I naturally want the Brewers and Cardinals to lose, I sill respect both teams. I respect what the Brewers have done the past 2 years and think they've built themselves a heck of a team. I would be tickled to pull an auto card of Brewers or Cardinals all-stars.

This type of blinding, irrational hate befits a Yankee or Red Sox fan, but otherwise you seem smarter than that. You seem very bitter against the Cubs. For what? They haven't been division rivals very long, so last year was the first year the Cubs kept the Brew Crew from making the playoffs.

Give up your hate, my friend! Rivalries are great, but such hatred poisons the soul!

Lonestarr said...

I agree with Matthew. I've been a Cubs fan since I was three years old, but I quite enjoy watching the Brewers play, naturally not against the Cubs, but they are exciting and have a very promising future. I even have a sense of humor about the rivalry with the Cardinals nowadays, if not outright respect.

Life is too short for all this hatred.