Monday, August 11, 2008

Trade Me Your Brewers: Trade #10

This next trade comes from Eric in Iowa. In terms of size, most of the trades that have arrived have adhered to the 20-card format. This one, however, plays the super-sized value meal to everyone else's half of a leftover McNugget. Because of the sheer volume of cards Eric traded me, I decided to pick my 20 favorites. Please note that I am not opening any other packages people have sent me until I post the previous trade.

2004 Fleer Authentix #24 Geoff Jenkins
While a game date is listed on this card, it doesn't tell you anything other than that. Maybe I'm missing something here. A little research at the Baseball Almanac tells the story of a 13-7 Brewers loss in which Jenkins went 1-5. Thanks for immortalizing that, Fleer. Oh, and I don't think Miller Park has a section 296, either.

2006 Topps #281 Brewers Team and Opening Day #98 Ben Sheets
I'm always been a little disappointed when the Heritage sets I'm collecting do not have a Brewers team card. They also left out a Milwaukee Braves felt box topper in the 2007 set, even though it's listed on the backs of all the others.

2007 Upper Deck First Edition #235 Rickie Weeks and #237 Tony Gwynn, Jr.
Great photo on the Weeks card. I feel a little bad that Gwynn doesn't get more of a chance, but that's life.

2008 Topps #323 Francisco Cordero League Leaders and T205 #TCP28 Prince Fielder
Nice cards. They demonstrate that things can change for the better in ways you might not have foreseen.

2007 Topps Turkey Red #44 Bill Hall
Topps had the good sense to photograph Bill just after daybreak. He's getting in some early-morning base-running practice while all others are still in bed.

2008 Upper Deck Starquest Commons #SQ-2 Ryan Braun and SQ-3 Prince Fielder
Eric also sent the Super Rare Braun, but I've already got it. I was not aware until now that the commons have varying colors. Wait, hold on a second, I just noticed that the Braun is from First Edition, and thus is green.

2008 Upper Deck #53 Yovanni Gallardo, #556 Jeff Suppan, #550 Mike Cameron, and #756 Ryan Braun Team Checklist.
I think that's my first Mike Cameron card in a Brewers uniform. When will I get my first Ray Durham-as-a-Brewer card?

2008 Bowman #1 Ryan Braun, #BP20 Stephen Chapman Gold, #BCP3 Darren Ford Chrome, #BCP102 Ken Holmberg X-Fractor (242/275), and #BCP66 David Welch Chrome
Nice job on the hero worship of Braun, assigning him #1, Topps/Bowman!

2008 Topps Allen & Ginter #US48 Seth McClung/West Virginia
This is a good way to introduce other collectors to McClung. He was in the starting rotation for a short time, but now has become a solid bullpen presence.

I guess that rounds out 20 cards, all new to me, for 20 points, plus a 3-point bonus for the Holmberg X-Fractor. Good stuff. In the interest of fairness, none of the other cards Eric sent will count towards what I already have. They will be held in limbo until the contest is over, at which point I will finally officially own them.

STANDINGS
1. 90 pts: Chris from Stale Gum
2. 72 pts: dayf from Cardboard Junkie
3. 42 pts: Cliff from Capewood's Collections
4. 30 pts: Dan from New York
5. 23 pts: Rob from Rangers Cards
5. 23 pts: Eric from Iowa
7. 19 pts: Kerry from Oregon
8. 18 pts: David from Tribe Cards
9. 17 pts: Paul from Pennsylvania
10. 14 pts: John from the UK

3 comments:

dayf said...

I think the dates on the Authentix cards are for the team's home openers.

The lack of a Milwaukee Braves Felt in Heritage was like a dagger through my heart.

Slette said...

Hey man, I was just happy to clean out some cards and get them to someone who would like them. What's sad is I already have more Brewers to send you too... they'll have to wait until after the move.

Billy Suter said...

If you get a double of that McClung card, let me know.