Saturday, August 2, 2008

Trade Me Your Brewers: Trade #3

I must say that I'm really having fun with this contest. It allows me the thrill of my favorite carding activity (opening packs), but it guarantees me that I will like all of the cards. Today's contestant is Kerry, a Cardinals fan in Oregon. Let's see what he sent.

1983 Fleer #46 Jim Slaton +1
This back of this card proves that Jim had the greatest possible amount of hair a human being can have without actually having long hair.

1983 Donruss #106 Cecil Cooper +1
If memory serves me right, at last year's game where a Cecil Cooper 1982 bobblehead was give out, Cecil read the lyrics to Van Halen's "Jump" on a scoreboard presentation. It's always nice to see him return as manager of the Astros a couple times each year.

1982 Donruss #536 Ed Romero +1
Ed likes stripes, and wears them proudly.

1981 Donruss #324 Charlie Moore +1
Burned into my brain is that Charlie Moore is one of the only Brewers to hit for the cycle.

2007 Goudey #170 (Red) Johnny Estrada +1
A project that never really worked out.

2005 Donruss Team Heroes #171 Ben Sheets +1
Nice stat on the back that Ben struck out 31 batters in 17 innings against the Braves in 2004.

2005 Donruss #229 Junior Spivey +1
Good glove, no hit is all that comes to mind. Can I trust that memory? I guess it'll have to do.

2004 Upper Deck #378 Chris Capuano +1
Will there be a place for Chris next year when he and Gallardo come back from injury?

1981 Topps #379 Larry Sorensen +0
Oops, I put together this set last year, one of the funnest projects in my collecting experience.

1981 Fleer #508 Ben Oglivie and #507 Gorman Thomas +2
Two dudes you do not want to tangle with.

2008 Topps #206 Geoff Jenkins +1
My friend sold him a cell phone last year, then he moved to Philadelphia. I wonder if his package includes roaming minutes?

2002 Topps #217 Jamey Wright +1
This may be the first 2002 Topps card I have ever seen. Topps was nice enough to stamp the year at the top of the card for me.

2003 Fleer Tradition #370 Alex Sanchez +1
Nice, "clean" card, thank goodness.

1984 Topps #687 Roy Howell +1
Lost in the shuffle of the '82 World Series team greats.

2007 Upper Deck #24 Drew Anderson +1
I hope he gets into a Reds game soon, if only to get rid of the career .111 batting average.

2005 ESPN Upper Deck #48 Ben Sheets +1
This design even tries to get the crawl in at the bottom. Ben walks with a pimp in his step.

1979 Topps #708 Brewers Prospects Kevin Bass, Eddie Romero, Ned Yost +1
On the right, our benevolent leader. The left, the beginnings of the greatest mustache in the big leagues. Easily my favorite card in this lot.

1984 Ralston Purina Topps #27 Cecil Cooper +1
The "Purina" makes me think this came in a tin of cat food, but the "Ralston" lets me know that it was a box of Chex.

2005 Leaf #107 Bill Hall +1
For those of you who haven't been to a game at Miller Park, this is the Bill Hall Chant.
"Bill, clap clap CLAP, Hall, clap clap CLAP -- Bill, clap clap CLAP, Hall, clap clap CLAP"
Yeah, it's hard to be creative when you've downed six Leinenkugel's by the seventh inning stretch.

Kerry's total score is 19, good enough for second place at the moment. The selection of early-years Donruss was nice. I can't wait to see what else is in store.

STANDINGS
1. 23 pts: Rob from Rangers Cards
2. 19 pts: Kerry from Oregon
3. 18 pts: David from Tribe Cards

2 comments:

Andy said...

1) That 1979 Topps card is A W E S O M E, and it's so rare to see one of those triple-rookie cards where all 3 guys went on to have actual major-league careers, though Romero sucked.

2) This series of posts is great. It's awesome and much appreciate that you're scanning all the cards.

--David said...

Hmm, I'm beginning to feel a lot like the team I 'represent.' (sigh)