Monday, August 4, 2008

Trade Me Your Brewers: Trade #5

Today's package came all the way from across the pond in the good old UK. Thanks goes out to John for sending me what he realized was a short stack of cards for this contest.

2001 Upper Deck Decades #50 Gorman Thomas +1
Very cool card. I already have the Younts in this set, but the Gorman is new to me.

2008 Upper Deck First Edition #43 Dave Bush and #42 Ben Sheets +2
Nice horizontal action shots on both.


2008 Topps Heritage #298 Ben Sheets and #395 Eric Gagne +0
Sorry, already got most of this set. If anyone wants to help me out on that...

1997 Topps #424 Cal Eldred +1
This card falls outside of the post-1999 guidelines, but I'll give him the point anyway. Gotta be flexible when the guy lives in a country that barely recognizes baseball. Sticky wickets and such.

1998 Fleer Ultra #339 Jose Valentin +1
Those mid-1990s uniforms will forever be associated with mediocrity.

1999 Pacific Collection #156 Fernando Vina, #155 Jose Valentin, #151 Scott Karl, #149 Valerio De Los Santos, and #147 Jeromy Burnitz +5
Not a bad design, actually. Did Pacific ever really catch on here? I recall a Beckett article about how good their collation was, where you could expect a box to be free of doubles whereas a Donruss box would net you almost half doubles.

1996 Topps #340 Mark Loretta +1
Typical average player of the mid-'90s Brewers. I'm glad I was in high school and had other things to distract me back then.

1989 Fleer #184 Rob Deer and #183 Chuck Crim +2
Again, way outside of the contest guidelines, but these are great cards I don't have. Easter Sunday, 1987. Awesome.

2008 Topps #139 Johnny Estrada
Now I own two Topps base set cards from 2008. I saw the factory set at Target the other day. Surprisingly, there was nothing extra added to it to entice me to buy. I'm still holding out that they'll slap on some ridiculous bonus cards in anticipation of the pre-Christmas rush.

Let's see, that comes to 14 points. John should not feel bad, however, since accompanying this trade were three packs of 2007/2008 Topps Premier League Football (Soccer) cards. With the 08/09 season nearly underway, these will make some fine Pack a Day entries. Go Everton!

STANDINGS
1. 42 pts: Cliff from Capewood's Collections
2. 23 pts: Rob from Rangers Cards
3. 19 pts: Kerry from Oregon
4. 18 pts: David from Tribe Cards
5. 14 pts: John from the UK

No comments: