Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My House is Full of Hidden Treasure

This past weekend I found out that my new house (purchased last March) has the capability of impersonating the underside of a Christmas tree. Confused yet? That's fine, I'll explain fully.

While the previous owner left behind a few unexpected choice items (an aging Weber grill, some semi-functional tiki torches, and a garden hose with a hole in it, among others), it took us six months to discover the best the house had to offer. While preparing for an evening outing, my fiancee dropped an earring behind the radiator in her room. (I say her room because of our home's current set-up. The three bedrooms upstairs are obviously too many for a childless couple. The two spare bedrooms currently act as hobby rooms, with mine holding spillover from my DVD collection, several boxes of comic books, and, of course, cards. Her room is a sanctuary within which she designs beaded jewelry, and which also holds beauty products. So there you have it.)

Anyways, the wayward earring disappeared somewhere behind the fancy radiator covers. This thing was almost as lost as Oceanic flight 815, so she had to pull out a flashlight. After a little Reed Richards arm action, she snagged the earring...and this.

The pennant she found is actually a replica of a pennant that originally hung in my family's basement rec room when I was younger. The corporate branding (Mastercard, Northwest Airlines...) is absent from the original, as is the 2002 date. The complete roster on the magnificent scroll remains unchanged. I can remember being a young fan and trying to figure out what the rationale for the name order was. It certainly wasn't alphabetical, nor was the list arranged by popularity.

One might think that the players are listed in numerical jersey order, especially with Molitor (4) so near the top, but Rob Picciolo (8), and recently exorcized manager Ned Yost (5) shoot holes in that theory. Even the tail end of the list gets a little goofy. General Manager Harry Dalton is last, and there are a bunch of coaches before him (Dobson, McLish, Warner, Haney, and Hansen), but players Larry Hisle and Randy Lerch have elbowed their way into that group. I guess the order of the list will remain a mystery.

There are still some nooks and crannies that have yet to be explored in my home, so who knows what other treasures await discovery.

5 comments:

dayf said...

Sweet! gotta love a free pennant with every house. Don't get too attached to those extra rooms, once critters show up you pretty much lose the whole house.

--David said...

It was in the small print: "Brewers banner hidden behind radiator. Should it be discovered, great wealth and power shall come to the finder." Or something like that...

Joe74mj said...

Could this be a premonition the Brewer's are gonna win the World Series? I gotta call my bookie!

William said...

This is more glamorous than the time my uncle's house was infested with dust mites that used to live in Johnny Damon's beard.

PunkRockPaint said...

That is nice.

Not nearly as cool as the time I found this card in my airline seat...

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x156/tpeterson19/card-hurley.jpg

Great flight 815 reference.