Thursday, September 4, 2008

Special Report: Pulse of the Hobby

Tonight I attended the Brewers/Padres game, a lackluster effort by a fading, albeit wild card-leading team. Despite the languid pace of the game, my attention was drawn to a major collecting event.
No more than two rows in front of my seat, a seat far enough down the first base line it might have been considered an outfield seat, in a row high up enough to be considered prime seating for a top-down perspective art class lesson, was a family. By my estimation, it was not a complete family. Its members included two boys, one in a Braun jersey two sizes too big, the other a wild-eyed lad. While I lack the professional status to do so, ADHD was my gut reaction diagnosis of son #2. The father was still dressed in his middle management button down shirt and trousers.
My attention was drawn to this family only halfway through the game, a point at which souvenirs were purchased. The Braun jersey kid returned to his seat with a baseball with a Brewers glove logo printed on it. The other brother made a different choice, a single pack of 2008 Topps Opening Day, which, from my vantage point, had a sticker price of at least two dollars. Luckily for the fans surrounding this boy, such packs do not contain unstable isotopes, as this pack went through hell. Somehow, though, by the end of nine innings, it remained unopened. I will forever wonder what cards were contained within.

A baseball game on a school night plus some good hits...another collector in the making.

4 comments:

deal said...

Yes it probably was $2. That is what I seen at any park I have been to this year. I understand everything is overpriced at ballgames, but wouldn't you think that it would be in the card co's best interest to sell cards at the stadium's at the regular retail price or even dicounted. I mean if you want to draw in new younger collectors wouldn't that be a good place to start.

--David said...

At the Rangers game, I noticed the stadium had kiosks featuring cards, game-used items, etc. It was like a hobby store in the park. At first I thought it was weird, then I thought it was kinda cool. Finally, I thought it was WAY too overpriced....

I do think it's great, though, that a young fan chose a pack of cards over anything else. Oh yeah, he's got the habit...

dayf said...

Heh, try six bucks for a pack of Topps at Turner Field. Stupidity.

dinged corners said...

So ADHD Lad selected the pack of cards. Hmmmmm.