Monday, October 6, 2008

Halloween Contest Update/Brewers Fallout

I'm pleased to announce that the first of the in-hand Halloween Contest entries has arrived. We're still weeks away from the October 24th deadline, but I just wanted to remind everyone. I'm not about to jump the gun on sharing the scary doctored cards, but I'd like to post a picture of the great envelope David from Indians Cards sent. I've never seen someone go quite so buckwild on postage before. Sure, there were a few stacks of great Brewers cards that he sent with his entry, but I saw no need to dip into a tax-sheltered annuity in order to send a couple ounces of cardboard across the country. But hey, I appreciate the effort. And he used an old-timey baseball stamp.

With the 3-1 playoff series loss behind us now, it's time to reflect. All in all, it was a great season, and I haven't taken the failure to advance too hard. Miller Park got to see its first playoff game victory, something that hasn't happened since I was not quite four years old. The Phillies were the superior team, more complete from top to bottom. Although it wasn't officially over until Sunday, the series ended at the top of the first inning of Game 2, when Corey Hart hit into a first-pitch double play. I don't want to knock the guy too much, but I'll just say that I'll be in no hurry several years from now to enroll my as-of-yet unborn children in Corey Hart's Hitters Camp. "Swing at the first pitch every time, kids. Every time." I look forward to next year's improvement, although it will be a very different looking team then. Oh, and we didn't get swept like another National League team supposedly did.
Among the Brewers that were included in the lot from David: The guy who played the best during the playoffs...

...a guy who won't be a Brewer next year...

...and a guy who just had knee surgery today.

I am looking forward to the rest of the playoffs. And your frightening cards.

3 comments:

night owl said...

Supposedly??? Them Cubbies damn well got their butts swept. Go Dodgers!

--David said...

Umm, that would be because I can't do math... What was supposed to be 4 stamps ended up being what, 11 or 12? Obviously, I was distracted at the time of postage application...

Matt F. said...

My entry is in the mail today!