Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Nightmares on Cardboard 2008 -- Second Place

David from Tribe Cards sent in this entry that earned him second place in my Halloween Contest.

2007 Topps Heritage Here's Jhonny (1/1)

This card is awesome because it references the best movie to be made from a Stephen King story. I probably read The Shining when I was in fifth or sixth grade, kind of an early age for stuff like that, but I have my best friend at the time to blame. Or, more accurately, his dad, who was a morning DJ in Milwaukee. During the course of his career, he had the honor of interviewing Mr. King. I can still remember listening to a tape of the interview where Stephen King discusses the naked guy trimming his lawn with his mouth and the green juice dripping down his chin from his short story The Lawnmower Man (which bears no resemblance to the movie of the same name). The Shining has remained my favorite of his novels.

The stat box on the back of this card is really what helps this card rise above. My favorite is the "Yards: Snow-filled" statistic. I should point out that the outdoor landscaping of the Overlook Hotel is the one major story element that got changed in the translation to film. In the book, topiary hedge animals came to life and were on unfriendly terms with the Torrance family. Director Stanley Kubrick helped change the animals to the well-known hedge maze, which made a much better addition to the feelings of isolation and claustrophobia that drove Jack mad.

I must point out, however, that I disagree with one piece of statistical data. Where "Completions" reads "Actually, 0," (and I'm taking this to mean murders), I must say that I think Jack did successfully kill one character, Mr. Halloran. I've got a link to the video proof here, although there's some terrible non-original source music playing over the soundtrack. Fast forward to about 1:00 if you're short on time; the first minute is merely Scatman Crothers walking down hallways.
Then again, perhaps Completions refers to the novels Jack was planning on writing.

And here's a pic of the original artwork before any printer degradation.

Tomorrow, the winner winner chicken dinner. You all have a bit of German expressionism to look forward to. See you then!

4 comments:

--David said...

Wow! Thank you so much! I was truly shocked after seeing the "Body Cut" card get third to see mine come in second.

Yeah, being a psuedo-English-major, I was referring to novels... :-)

This was a great contest! I had fun turning "Johnny" into "Jhonny"!!

dayf said...

This card is utterly brilliant. I was dumbfounded how it could come in second and then you said "German Expressionism". I can't freaking wait for the winner.

PunkRockPaint said...

I want this card!

--David said...

Well, I can tell you that if the first place winner is who I think it is, you will be blown away...