Wednesday, October 22, 2008

World Series Kickoff

Game 1 is already underway, but as promised, I have some 1970s Fleer goodness to share. This card was the result of one of those happy eBay accidents, where I was looking for something else and ran across an interesting item.

1970 Fleer World Series #3 1905

In 1970 and 1971 Fleer produced a small set of cards commemorating each of the World Series played up until that time. I bid on a bunch of these last week, but won only one of them. If you want a more in-depth look at the set, I suggest you visit this post by the Fleer Sticker Project. That guy's got everything pictured; wrappers, wax boxes, and a large portion of the set. What I didn't see pictured, however, was the 1905 Series card.

The dripping paintbrush and the "Whitewash Series" moniker are a reference to the unusual occurrence of each game having been a shutout for one team or the other. The New York Giants defeated the Philadelphia Athletics four games to one, with Christy Mathewson throwing three shutouts in a six-day span. This card is in somewhat rough shape and is badly miscut, but I'm happy to own it nonetheless. Perhaps in the future I can acquire a few more to share.

3 comments:

dayf said...

These are cool cards. I've got a few of them and I wouldn't mind picking up a few more. They're surprisingly hard to find though.

Youth Sports Info said...

Hi

I Visited your blog through Google.
Really these are cool cards.

Keep up the fantastic work.........



Youth Baseball Drills

Fleerfan said...

Thorzul,

Thanks for the link to my article on the Fleer World Series cards. As I mentioned in the post, I would really like to see an update to this set to have some the great World Series moments over the last 28 years memorialized on these cards.