Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Trade Me Anything! II: Trade #1

My mailbox has started to bulge with the fruits of the second annual Trade Me Anything!, and it's time to showcase the goods. The kickoff trade comes from Sam, a Minnesota resident.

Giving: 2008 Topps Updates & Highlights Ring of Honor Darryl Strawberry #MRH-DS

Getting: 1971 Topps #456 Bob Meyer and #493 Dave May, Brewers Racing Sausage "I Ran the Bases at Miller Park!" Magnet

Pluses:
* I got two Brewers that weren't traded to me through Trade Me your Brewers

* The sausage magnet (a term applied to only the West Allis-y of women around these parts (Milwaukee residents will knowingly chuckle at that one)) reminds me of many great events involving extra access to stadium facilities. While I have not actually run the bases at Miller Park, I did get the chance to do so at County Stadium sometime in the late 1980s. Today, that feat is reserved for citizens not old enough to drive.
What I have done, however, is participate in the Sausage Race, a 5-kilometer fun run/walk that begins in the center field parking lot, takes you around the perimeter of Brew Crew-owned territory, and even jaunts you through a tunnel leading into the stadium, onto the warning track, past both dugouts, and back out again before the final mile. This summer I was able to complete this race in 25:25, not a great time, but good enough considering that I didn't cross the starting line until well after the race was underway. Then this past August I completed another 5k in 24:06. I am definitely not built for distance running, but I will beat any card blogger in a 100-meter dash. Anyone who wishes is welcome to come to Milwaukee and make a proposition bet for a pack or even a box of cards. Wooooo! (-Ric Flair)

Minuses:
*The only thing I can think of is the Great Clips corporate logo on the bottom. I can't tell you how many pieces of sports clothing I own but do not wear because of errant corporate branding. How can I communicate my love of the Marquette Warri-...er, I mean, Golden Eagles without intimating that I shop at Piggly Wiggly Supermarket? There's got to be a way There..must...be..a...way.

Oh yeah, and for anyone who was following this last year, the fun backgrounds are back.

4 comments:

csd said...

I am impressed by your times. I am not a distance runner myself, but this year I did get down into the 25 second bracket. Next year I hope to join you in the 24 second bracket. I may have to come and try that run. I did one here this year that saw me running inside Notre Dame Stadium, and it was great.

Thorzul said...

CSD,
You meant to say "25 minute bracket," right? I'm no Barry Allen, after all (nor, to a lesser extent, Wally West).

gcrl said...

i'm probably closer to jay garrick myself...

Thorzul said...

Caller, you're on the air, welcome to FlashTalk, talkin' 'bout Flash from sun-up to sundown, 99.7 WTHRZL.