Thursday, November 20, 2008

Trade Me Anything! II: Trade #12

From Tim in Louisiana.

Giving: 2008 Topps Updates & Highlights #UH137 Evan Longoria Gold Foil Parallel, FIrst Couples #FC-8 Martin & Hannah Van Buren, #FC-9 William Henry & Anna Harrison, #FC-10 John & Julia Tyler, #FC-29 Herbert & Lou Hoover, and #FC-31 Harry S & Bess Truman


Getting: 1986 Sportflics Rookies #10 Dan Plesac

1989 Fleer Brewers Sticker

1989 Topps Collectors' Series #2 Cecil Cooper

1990 Simpsons #23 Maggie Simpson

1991 Benchwarmers #47 Sandra Wild

1991 Pro Set Desert Storm #127 Navy Seals and #186 USS Richmond K. Turner

1991 Pro Set Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure #41 Genghis Khan

1990 Pro Set Super Stars MusiCards #255 The Doors

1991 Pro Set PGA #1 Fred Couples

1989 Donruss Warren Spahn Mini Puzzle

1985 Topps #701 Eddie Murray All-Star

1989 Topps Mini Leaders #59 Robin Yount

1999 Topps Widevision Star Wars Episode I #25 Bargaining With Watto


Pluses:
*The Cooper and Spahn are my favorites of the lot. I had no idea you could get of mini version of larger the one-per-pack Donruss puzzles. Does anyone know is this was available other years?

*Variety, the spice of live. Going into every trade blind, I never know what will arrive. Could be Genghis Khan, could be Robin Yount, you just never know.

*One more card knocked off my 1985 need list.

Minuses:
*The Benchwarmers card demonstrates how lax professional beauty standards were back in the early 1990s. We certainly have come a long way. At least there's something for the ladies to look at on the first Desert Storm card.

*A few of these are doubles to me, but not too many. I already had the Yount and, believe it or not, the Bargaining With Watto. Yes, I collected the Episode I cards pretty hard, but fell a few short of a full set. Let me know if it's sensible to post a want list for this set, otherwise I'm not going to waste my time.

Oh, I almost forgot...bonus props to the first person to identify the connection between the card I'm trading and its background comic.

6 comments:

Chris Harris said...

IIRC, the mini-puzzles were inserted into factory sets of Donruss The Rookies.

Luis Salazar's Mustache said...

I got 1990 mini-puzzles in Donruss' Best of National League and Best of American League sets.

Can't say about The Rookies, though...

dinged corners said...

OT: Toby's back!

Rounding Thirty 3rd said...

Glad you got a couple cards you could use. The mini puzzle did come out of my factory set of Donruss Rookies. Thought I had the 85 Ripken you needed also, but alas, I did not.

I thought Watto was appropriate for the hard bargainer that you are. I also collected episode I - so let me know what you still need.

I must admit, I actually thought I was getting Eva Longoria (was going to be for the wife) so that is why I put Sandra and the Navy Seals in the trade.

Finally, I had a hard time parting with Maggie Simpson. She has done a great job lately of reminding me how my Orioles are doing!

--David said...

Okay, I'll bite: Both Longoria and Atom have the ability of "manipulating his weight to his advantage."

William said...

First Couples: James Buchanan ... [no woman pictured]