Thursday, December 11, 2008

2008 Card-vent Calendar: December 10

December 10, 2008:
2008 Goudey #GG-GN Graig Nettles Goudey Graphs

Without giving too much away, I'll reveal that one of the little tricks I have used to snag some really great cards for a really cheap price on eBay is to do a search containing a common misspelling or a player or brand's name. While I wouldn't usually go after one of his cards, I had to try my little trick with probably the most misspelled of them all, Graig Nettles. (Check out the back of his 1973 Topps card.)

Lo and behold, I was able to snag this card for a buck or two by searching for "Craig Nettles." Not too bad for an on-card autograph. This is a nice little item that will become a permanent part of my collection, with that capital "G" in all its cursive glory.

By the way, in researching this post, I've found that, of course, there's a site dedicated to this practice. Fat Fingers helps find common typos on eBay for you. Remonds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer got super-large and tried to dial the phone. He was greeted with a voice recording: "The fingers you have used to dial are too fat. To obtain a special dialing wand please mash the keypad with your palm now."

1 comment:

Ebay Misspelling Addict said...

FatFingers is good but there are loads of other sites that do the misspelling thing better.

A good example is Missing-Auctions.com (http://www.missing-auctions.com) which allows you to create your searches as RSS feeds.

You can then subscribe to these and will receive an automatic alert when a misspelled item matching your search appears on eBay.

Never miss another bargain again !