Wednesday, December 17, 2008

2008 Card-vent Calendar: December 17

December 17, 2008:
2004 Topps #548 Brady Clark

I seem to remember a discussion on A Pack a Day that brought into question the practice of 2004 Topps including the little outline figure guy on each card. I guess since I wasn't collecting at that time, I failed to even notice that the little fellow mimics the position of the player on each card, so thanks for bringing that to my attention.

While there are plenty, I'm sure, portraying a pitcher in mid-release or some chump at the plate with a bat on his shoulder, the Brady Clark card breaks the mold. Someone in the Topps Graphic Design Dept. really earned their money on this one. I'm guessing they weren't able to merely go back to their undergrad art school portfolio and pull out this particular human figure sketch. Rather, hours were surely spent, thumb firmly planted on pause, capturing just the right moment from a filmed entertainment of questionable taste with the phrase "All-Hyphen-Blank" somewhere in its title.

Thank you, Brady Clark, for properly demonstrating the Spread Eagle into Second Maneuver. Davey Lopes taught you that, didn't he?

No comments: