Friday, December 19, 2008

2008 Card-vent Calendar: December 19

December 19, 2008:
1985 Big League Cards #10-A565 Patrolman Levi Elk

One of the great joys of collecting cards is that it gives you a genuine shot at possessing something that perhaps no one else owns, or at the very most only a small handful of other people has. This year's Card-vent Calendar has been extremely generous in this regard. Right now I can claim to be one of the only people on the planet who owns a trading card of an ambassadroid. In fact, before this article goes live, "ambassadroid" got only nine Google hits.

A little background: Levi Elk works to fight the war against drug and alcohol abuse in NW Arkansas. The Harrison Elks Lodge teamed up with the Office of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention to distribute Patrolman Levi Elk cards free of charge to children in the greater Harrison area. Levi Elk's hobbies include singing and dancing.

This card is actually printed on a pretty nice 1980s-Topps-era stock, and has survived two-plus decades of love fairly well. I'm willing to bet this card is holding up better than Levi himself. I challenge anyone reading this to produce another Levi Elk card (aside from the guy who sent it to me, of course). Thanks Tribe Cards! Now I'm curious to know if there were more cards produced in this set.

PSA, expect a well-insured package soon!

1 comment:

PunkRockPaint said...

My next post will be titled "Ambassadroid"

Strike while the iron is hot, I say.

Have you voted in Dayf's contest yet?

I am not trying to sway your vote... but PLEASE vote for me!