Saturday, December 6, 2008

2008 Card-vent Calendar: December 6

December 6, 2008:
2005 Donruss Playoff Prestige #194 Gaylord Perry

My Uncle Bob is 80 years old, but he's a young 80. By the end of his career, Gaylord Perry was the oldest player in baseball, but he was also a young old man. Despite his vigor, however, I always think he looks like a grandpa fulfiling a fantasy camp dream when I see his cards. Perhaps it was the way he let his gray take over his head (sideburns included) like it was Germany in 1939. Whatever it is, he deserves to be saluted this Christmas season, in the spirit of gamesmanship, illegal pitches, and psych-out head games.

By the way, my Uncle Bob finished a 5K in 56:44, coming in first in his age group. Is Gaylord first in his age group in pitch speed now? I'm hoping he is. (If not speed, then wicked spitter action.)

1 comment:

dayf said...

If the Braves can't get Peavy or Burnett, maybe they'll pick up Gaylord and Knucksie to shore up the rotation.