Wednesday, December 10, 2008

CC Sabathia, We Hardly Knew Ye...

As you've probably heard by now, CC Sabathia accepted the Yankees' offer to throw the ball in the general direction of the batter for the opposing team in exchange for a previously-agreed-upon sum of money. As a fan of the team occupying one of the smallest markets in baseball, this came as no surprise. All of the warning signs were there, but several talismans obtained over the last month or so opened up the door to the possibility of CC staying with the Brewers. Confused? Let me explain.

Recently, I have been pulling CC Sabathia cards out of packs at an alarming rate. If I was one of the heores on the show Heroes (which I've never gotten around to watching, by the way), my power would be CC Level Magnetism. If I would happen to discover another element that gets added to the periodic table, it would be called "Sabathium," and its chemical symbol would be Cc. Here's what I've gotten:

2008 Allen & Ginter: I purchased a blaster of this and I got...
#5 CC Sabathia
#5 CC Sabathia Mini
#5 CC Sabathia Black Bordered Mini

Mind you, these came from a single blaster of eight packs.

Next, 2008 Topps Heritage Chrome #C145 CC Sabathia (1198/1959)

2008 Topps Chrome #TCHC37 CC Sabathia Trading Card History (1960 Bazooka)

2002 Topps Heritage #THC5 CC Sabathia (125/553) (This came from a 10-pack box I got off eBay for a very reasonable price.)

What is going on here? Why so many parallels and inserts of the same player? Is this the answer we've been looking for? Should the people enthralled by the Left Behind series turn their thoughts of salvation elsewhere? Will this end man's inhumanity to man? Why does Diet Dr Pepper taste more like regular Dr Pepper?

If you have any thoughts on this, let me know. And sorry, but no Card-vent Calendar today. Board up your windows and brace for the riots that are sure to follow.

(By the way, the one positive that comes out of this is that it now becomes much more possible for me to collect every CC card where he's in a Brewers uniform. I'd like to turn to the card collecting community to help me out on this one. So far I've gotten his 2008 Topps U&H, U&H gold foil parallel, gold-bordered parallel, black-bordered parallel, and his 2008 UD Timelines base card. I'll display these on a proper post soon. If you have any others you'd like to trade me, let me know.)

4 comments:

FanOfReds said...

And to think I only get Fukudome in every pack... (and I'm still not sure I spell his name correctly)... Pretty sure he's not going to end up a Red anytime soon...

Slette said...

Right now, I'm in the middle of the debate if I start collecting CC or not... leaning towards the "not," considering how I traded a bunch of his Indians cards off earlier this year and I don't care to start over. If I don't, I definitely have a Sweet Spot and Timelines to offer you.

All I ever seem to pull is Matsui cards. Seriously, Upper Deck has this strong love affair with Derek Jeter, but do you think I can pull anything of him? Nope, just Godzilla. Damnation.

White Sox Cards said...

No Card-vent calander today???!!!

I'm driving up to Milwaukee and taking a chunk out of Miller Park with an aluminum baseball bat! :)

I seem to pull Cubs cards like there's no tomorrow.

--David said...

As a Tribe fan, the lingering question for me is always: who's next? Hafner, Sizemore, Lee are the top three that come to mind. Of course, there is no way the Tribe could close to paying that kind of money like the Yanks. But, what really needs to be addressed is the fact that the Yankees don't seem to understand that money does not buy them the series. They need to work on building a TEAM not just putting the 'best' guys together.