Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Five Dollar Group Break: Update II

Alright, time for another preview of what some of the participants will be getting. Without any further ado...

darkship's Royals:
2006 Topps Turkey Red #381 Mark Grudzielanek Red Parallel
"Grudzy," a Wisconsin native, is pretty cool.

Ryan Cracknell's Dodgers:
1993 Upper Deck #22 Billy Ashley
I guess you would call this a "That Guy" appearance by Eric Karros. I would love it if anyone would send me any other images of cards with "That Guy" in the background, horning in on someone else's card.

Matt F.'s Mariners:
2006 Topps Opening Day SI for Kids Funny Photos #22 Ichiro
Johnny Damon is on the back of this one, but the presence of Ichiro on the front puts this one in the M's pile.

Aron's Astros:
2006 Topps U&H #UH215 ERA League Leaders
Oswalt has top billing on this card, so it goes in the Astros pile. To calculate who actually has top billing, I'm applying the top-left formula. Because of the way English text is read, the most powerful position on a rectangular array is the top-leftmost spot.

The most famous finagling of this phenomenon occurred during the opening credits of Cheers, where prima donnas Ted Danson and Shelly Long both demanded top billing. This is the solution the producers of Cheers came up with. God help me if a card like this turns up.

thehamiltonian's Blue Jays:
1989 Donruss The Rookies #12 Tony Castillo
Are the green backs of these awesome or what?

jackplumstead's Red Sox:
2005 Donruss #119 Derek Lowe
Only one pack of 2005 D'russ has emerged so far, but it was a monster. I've never really seen anything like it.

More spots still left. Thanks for the quick payments from everyone who's already in!

4 comments:

Kevin said...

Thorzul - I sent my payment last night, but forgot to attach a memo. It's through kbrotzman2@washcoll.edu. Email me if you need any more info. Thanks!

William said...

According to Mark Grudzielanek's Wikipedia page, he was once a regional skee-ball champion.

dayf said...

Paypal is finally working for me now... I just bought two slots. I'll e-mail you my preferences.

Zpop said...

I'm going to take the Twins, just for fun. Paypal is on the way.