Monday, December 29, 2008

Five... Five Dollar... Five Dollar Group Break

One of the great things about going on vacation and being a collector is that you'll probably have a giant pile of packages waiting for you went you come home. When today's postal deliveries were resumed, this beast was waiting for me.

I don't think I've ever received a more hastily wrapped parcel. I'm guessing USPS routed this thing through Mount Doom Couriers followed by Mariana Trench Underwater Delivery before it reached its final destination in Milwaukee. I'm happy to report that baseball cards can indeed endure the tremendous pressure of Challenger Deep and live to tell about it. Why don't we see what's inside...

Not too shabby. What you are looking at is a lot of cards and packs I won on eBay recently. The lot is comprised of seven 10-pack value boxes, each of which contain 50 loose cards, two packs of 2005 Topps Opening Day, two of 2006 Opening Day, a 2007 Topps Boston Red Sox team set, a 35-card assortment pack, and an 8-pack blaster of 2006 Topps Turkey Red. All told, that's 82 packs, plus another 400 or so cards.

Here's the deal. I've been seeing a lot of group breaks online recently, many of which are for high-end products. While these projects are a great way to get a great card or two without breaking your bank for a whole box, one often comes away from this with just a couple of cards, and potentially none at all. In my group break, you'll get a whole bunch of cards, and it won't cost you nearly as much as, say, a Triple Threads break might.

Here's how this will work. Follow these easy steps if you want in.
1. Indicate your team preference in the comments for this post. You can choose as many teams as you'd like. Each team will cost $5.00, which should cover shipping to you and the cost of this lot. Teams are up for grabs on a first come-first serve basis. You will then receive all of the cards pulled from that team.

2. Send me your entrance fee via PayPal. You can send it to this address: bill13boehm@yahoo.com
If you need any assistance with this, e-mail me instead and I'll walk you through it.

3. In your PayPal transaction, make sure to include your team of choice as well as your mailing address. While I have many saved in e-mail folders, there might be some new people I haven't traded with yet. I'm setting a deadline of 11:59 pm on Friday, January 2, 2008 to send in payment.

4. That's it! Some time this weekend, you will get a chance too see some of the highlights of this lot, and who got some of the lucky hits. I'm not promising any amazing pulls or anything like that, but who knows? Packages will be sent out towards the beginning of next week. The Brewers are already claimed by me, so don't ask for them. Every other team is available, unless someone else gets to it first. After I confirm payment, I will be listing team choices in the space below. If you want the Red Sox, you will get the team set as well. And because a video recording all of this pack opening will be so prohibitive based on the lot's size, I guess that you'll have to trust that I'm sending everything that I pull. What it boils down to is that for the price of about two packs of cards, you'll be getting a bunch of cards of only the team you want. I believe that I am known as an honest and trustworthy trader in this community, and I'll go to great lengths to uphold that image. The blog is always open to comments, none of which I ever remove, no matter how badly someone might bash me for anti-Cubs statements and the like.

Oh, and if you have any questions about anything, anything at all, please ask. Most of the packs seem to be from 2006 and 2007, lots of Upper Deck, some Bowman, some Fleer Ultra, Opening Day, and there's even that '06 Heritage peeking out. It's the only one I can see, but there might be more among the unseen inner packs.

I think this should be a lot of fun, and I hope to have a lot of people participate. If not, I get to keep all the cards.

Teams Chosen:
Braves -- Captain Canuck
Mets -- steveisjewish
Nationals/Expos, Twins -- Zpop
Cubs -- gritz76
Cardinals -- madding
Royals -- darkship
Dodgers -- Ryan Cracknell
Mariners -- Matt F.
Astros -- Aron
Blue Jays -- thehamiltonian
Red Sox -- jackplumstead
Phillies -- deal
Orioles -- Kevin
A's -- tastelikedirt
Padres -- Rod
White Sox -- White Sox Cards
Yankees -- packaddict
Reds, Angels -- dayf

21 comments:

Captain Canuck said...

put me down for the Braves...
paypal on it's way...

steveisjewish said...

ill take the mets - like the subway themed post!

madding said...

Put me down for the Cardinals.

Zpop said...

I'll go in for the Nationals.

Zpop said...

And any Expos if they sneak in, so I get my money's worth, that seems fair, right?

Kevin said...

I suppose I'd better claim the Orioles :)

Ryan Cracknell said...

I'm in for the Dodgers.

tastelikedirt said...

I say, Oakland A's for me please.

dayf said...

I'm interested, I'll send you the details in an e-mail.

gritz76 said...

I'll save the Cubs from the garbage pail!

jackplumstead said...

Hiya Bill
Could I have the Red Sox. I think I would have to pay some more to cover postage to the UK.
Just send me the price and I will send it off straight away.
John

darkship said...

I'd be interested in the Royals. I'll send the money your way in a bit

Matt F. said...

Just sent my payment for the Mariners. Thanks!

thehamiltonian said...

I'll take the Jays. Paypal will be on the way later. I'll shoot you an email to determine whether there will be extra for shipping to Canada.

Aron said...

I'll take the Astros, paypal coming once I figure it out.

Rod said...

I would like the Padres. paypal this evening when I get home. Thanks

deal said...

I am in and will take the Phils!

thanks for running this. It's a box break that I can handle.

tastelikedirt said...

PayPal sent for the Oakland A's!

Thanks.

White Sox Cards said...

At least I'll get something in the break this time. At least I hope.

White Sox

Rod said...

Paypal sent for the Padres, Thanks Rod

packaddict said...

Yankees please :)