Monday, January 26, 2009

Dr. Steve's Doctored Cards #21

I know, I know, it's been way too long since I've shown off one of Dr. Steve's masterpieces. Truth be told, I'm rationing all that I have left... not by choice, but out of necessity. Ladies and gentlemen, we are in a plane-crashed-rugby-team-in-the-Andes situation here, and the guy next to me is creeping me out each time he makes a comment that refers to my calves and their nutrition content. Since we're down to the last few rescue flares, here is your next-to-last portion.

1991 Fleer #32 Rafael Belliard

The Pirates were an awfully fun team to watch back in 1990, but I can't for the life of me remember why they ever made room for Belly-ard on their 40-man roster. Perhaps the early onset stages of Jim Leyland's dementia started setting in, causing him to think that Rafael was taking some adult enrichment childbirthing night classes at Carnegie Mellon, the kind where they ask both partners to care for a raw egg or wear a baby bump around for a specified period of time.

Oh well, perhaps the severe weight gain was what led to the trade to the Braves, the missing link that allowed them to make it to the Series in 1991 and then win it in '95. Follow the example of ol' Raffy, kids: Eat Ring Dings, get rings.

2 comments:

dayf said...

Heh, Raffy may have had a spare tire, but he sure had better defense than Jose Lind in the '92 NLCS!

mmosley said...

Way back when Baseball Tonight ran down the list of nightly homers, they asked for viewers to name the screaming baseball graphic they used. My idea was Rafael Belli-yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard!