Thursday, January 15, 2009

Five Dollar Group Break: Leftovers Revealed

Congratulations should go out to Motherscratcher, who beat everyone else to the punch and snagged the 9-team parlay I offered this morning. Spirits are high all throughout the Thorzul household because it has just been announced that Milwaukee Public Schools are remaining closed on Friday because of ridiculously low temperatures. That means more time to spend on card blogs, and I've got some good stuff planned coming up. Oh, and Monday is the MLK holiday, so no school then, either.

I'll take time now to show off my favorite card from each team Motherscratcher will be getting. Hopefully he won't be getting a spherical object a restin' in the highway.

Indians: Although there's a few CC cards (well, C.C., actually, if you want to nitpick), the best was a 2006 Turkey Red #411 Jhonny Peralta SP.

Rays: 2006 Fleer Ultra #URS8 Ultra Rising Stars Scott Kazmir. Sometimes cards like this turn out to be busts, but Kazmir has turned out to be pretty good.

Giants: Since I can't bring myself to pick Barry Bonds to be the best of a lot, here's a 1999 Topps Chrome #48 Charlie Hayes. Although the scan probably looks as black as Special Agent Cooper liked his coffee, this card has a strange scene playing out. Hayes, a third baseman, is standing alone, like the proverbial cheese in the famous children's song, just behind home plate, appearing to underhand the ball towards the home team's dugout. Strange world.

Diamondbacks: 2006 Upper Deck #510 Orlando Hudson. Upper Deck has come to mean "awesome photography." This card employs particularly interesting depth of field, with Hudson's body, face, and the tip of his bat/cattle brand remaining in focus. This card physically assaulted the D'Backs inserts of Luis Gonzalez and the very same Orlando Hudson that Motherscratcher will also get.

Pirates: 2006 Topps Wal-Mart #WM19 Jason Bay. Modeled after 1969 Topps. Cool.

Rockies: 2006 Upper Deck #160 Cory Sullivan. Few cards feature such "You Are There" dugout celebrations, and fewer still seem as somber as this scene. Sullivan appears to have been plopped into a Kafka novella, face-to-face with the soul-crushing anonymity that defines 21st-century urban life. You may have just hit a sacrifice fly to put your team ahead, but how far removed are you from picking an apple out of your back like Gregor Samsa?

Marlins: 2006 Turkey Red #TRR-MC Miguel Cabrera Game-Worn Jersey. Black jersey swatches are cool. Motherscratcher, do not forget what this jersey card looks like and tell someone, "I don't know...they were jammies...they had Yodas and shit on 'em!!!"

Tigers: 1994 Score #79 Lou Whitaker. Has there ever been a baseball card whose photograph is occupied by a greater percentage of batting helmet?

Rangers: There were a lot of Rangers in this lot, so I'll show you a couple. First there's 2006 Turkey Red #535 Mark Teixeira SP. Nice card, hard to find if you're building the set. More common, but twice as cool is a 1987 Donruss Diamond King #7 Charlie Hough. Perez really did a number on this guy, making him look as weathered as Tommy Lee Jones after a trip to the Arctic Circle without any chapstick. Thank goodness I also got Hough's base card, so we can see that his face isn't quite as craggy and crows' feet ridden as his portrait might suggest.


4 comments:

shanediaz82 said...

Twin Peaks was one of the greatest television shows of all time. It still holds up almost 20 years later.

The sewingmachineguy said...

I think the Lou card is actually Milt Cuyler.

dayf said...

The Twin Peaks reference made me smile broadly. The Raising Arizona reference very nearly caused me to spew a mouthful of Chicken Tikka Masala all over a football repack box I bought for Super Bowl festivities. Well done.

Motherscratcher said...

Great cards. I like the Ja-honny card especially.

I'm delighted with the Raising Arizona references. Well done.

I also consider myself a sort of fringe David Lynch fan. I like a lot of his stuff. I didn't like Eraserhead at all though. I've been informed on IMDB that I didn't like it because I wasn't smart enough to like it. Tough for me to argue with that. I've never seen Twin Peaks so I missed that one.

Anyway, thanks for the crack at those cards.