Saturday, January 10, 2009

Five Dollar Group Break: Royals, Cardinals

Today you're getting the two teams from Missouri, an epic rematch of the 1985 World Series. Fans of these two teams travel well, at least to Milwaukee. All of the Royals and Cardinals fans I've met at Miller Park have been really nice.

Team: Royals
Buyer: darkship
Number of cards: 30
Best card: In terms of aesthetics, 2006 Upper Deck #229 Mark Teahen

Comments: The Grudzy card that has already been shown was probably the best, although I lack enough Royals knowledge to make that judgment. I wish this team would become relevant again, because their uniforms look really cool. In fact, I wore a Royals cap for a few years back in the early-'90s. There's also a nice Willie Wilson close-up taken on a rare break between triples, and nice card of a guy who I've just learned has the best nickname in all of sports, Joakim Soria, "The Mexicutioner."


Team: Cardinals
Buyer: madding
Number of cards: 13
Best card: 2006 Fleer Ultra #HRK1 Albert Pujols Home Run Kings

Comments: While this is surely the smallest lot available, it packs a punch. I'm not sure why there were only 13 Cardinals cards when close to 1,000 were opened. Quite the anomaly. But here are some other good cards. A Jarrett Hoffpauir Chrome Prospects...

...a Brian Jordan card that could have only been produced in the small window between 1997 and 1999...

...and Fredbird, about whom Ozzie Smith apparently wrote a children's book. Nice.

2 comments:

Lynsbo.com said...

Great blog! I really love how it is easy on my eyes and the information are well written. I am wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your rss feed which really should do the trick! Have a nice day!

Berita Bola said...

Thanks so much with this fantastic new web site. I’m very fired up to show it to anyone. It makes me so satisfied your vast understanding and wisdom have a new channel for trying into the world.