Friday, January 23, 2009

They Sell Cards WHERE...?

Tonight I stopped at Best Buy after signing some papers that completed the refinancing of my house. (This bad economy is actually pretty great!) We had to exchange a movie that the wife got me for Christmas that I already had. This means, of course, that it was time to pick out something new. That something turned out to be a Blu-Ray of Crank for him and a Carrie Underwood CD for her. When we got to the checkout line, I couldn't believe what I saw...

Cards! At Best Buy!

At first I thought it might have been a small section displaying only the Yu-gi-Poke-Shaman-Oh! type dealy-o, but I was dead wrong. To the left stood several varieties of fat pack along with goat feed dispensers of single packs. I'm kinda sorta working on the 2008 Heroes set, so I grabbed a couple.

The best cards in the two packs all turned out to be Yankees. Take a look.


I also got a coupon in each pack for a blaster from Target. I wish I could time travel back to the pre-Halloween days of 2008, but alas, where we're going, we do need roads.

Enough about the cards, how about a big pat on the back for a big box electronics store (one with almost no competition any longer) for thrusting collectible cardstuffs upon the masses. Let's hop this is the first in a long timeline of events in which cards are reintroduced to the general public. My top five predictions...

5. Auto body shops include a hobby box with any new and original window glass ordered direct from the Nissan factory.
4. Police Athletic Leagues across the country run a "Guns for Cards" promotion.
3. Starbucks produces a 30-card set paralleling the Topps base set, complete with siren logo in corner.
2. Upper Deck blaster box the fifth thing thrown in with every purchase of a ShamWow!
1. Baseball cards become available at small, independently-owned drugstores. (Wait, that last one'll never, ever happen. Not in a million years.)

6 comments:

night owl said...

It'll be a long time before I'm desperate enough to go to Best Buy to purchase baseball cards. That store has to have the most annoying sales people on record.

Only major electonic purchases are worth enduring that nonsense.

Thorzul said...

I hear you, night owl.
The Blu-Ray we returned was American Psycho. The guy at the door who had to give us the pink sticker was like, "Why would you return that?!?!" He proceeded to pester us about buying The Dark Knight when it was clear we were well on our way to the customer service desk. My wife then shouted "Weirdo!" in a voice that was probably loud enough for him to hear.

dayf said...

They used to have cards at Media Play before they went bust, so I can see 'em at Best Buy. I'm never ever ever going there for anything, but it's nice to know.

Put up a want list of Heroes and I'll help you out. I've gotten a ton of 'em for some reason and I'm not particularly attached to them.

dinged corners said...

Hm. Interesting development. Still, this wouldn't get us into one of their stores. They outlasted Circuit City--seems like as good a time as any for them to lose focus.

--David said...

Man, I just cashed in a bunch of points from ePoll.com for $100 worth of Best Buy gift cards... If they cards at the Best buy 'near' my house, I think I know what I may splurge on....

freeandylaroche said...

Sort of harkens back to the days when you could take your two quarters and buy a pack of baseball cards at every corner store.