Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Top 5 Pulls of 2008: #2

When I look back at my year of collecting, I have to force myself to step back and look at the big picture. A great pull is relative to the pack from which it came. When a Whammy Douglas card makes the list, it has to be judged on a different scale than Prince Fielder. And while those two might exist in separate leagues, there's another layer of stratosphere altogether. My second-best pull of 2008...

Card: 2005 Topps Retired Signature Edition #TA-RCC Rod Carew AUTO
From: Hobby Box

When I picked up a box of this stuff, I was awestruck by the sheer size of the packs, specially designed, presumably, to accommodate the factory-sealed holders. In reality, the packs had to be so large to contain the massive stars that could be found inside. While several tiers of players made up this set, there's no mistake as to which level Carew came from. I might have been able to do a little better for my hit from this box, but I certainly could have done a lot worse!

That's a lot of red on them there stats!

1 comment:

dayf said...

I've got more action than my man John Woo and I've got more hits than Rod Carew....