Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Top 5 Pulls of 2008: #5

I'll be taking a break periodically from the Five...Five Dollar...Five Dollar Group Break to return to something I started on this blog last year, my own personal top pulls of the year. This year's pack highlights might not tickle the fancy of every reader, depending upon geographical location and franchise affiliation. Heck, there's even one this year that sneaks in because the guy has a funny name. Rhyme and, yes, reason, will be explored for each of this year's top five cards pulled out of packs during calendar 2008.

I have already torn in, now let's take a peek, shall we?

Card: 2008 Upper Deck Timeline #TM-PF Prince Fielder Timeline Memorabilia

From: Target Blaster box
Why I Love This Card: Believe it or not, this is actually the first Brewers memorabilia or autograph card I've pulled out of an actual pack. After two solid years of Texas Rangers and Kansas City Royals, to name a few, I finally got one of my hometown heroes.
Thanks to many of you guys and girls, I've got a nice collection of Brewers memorabilia cards, but there's nothing compared to getting a jersey card of the team you cheer your heart out for after pulling back that shiny wrapper, Charlie Bucket-style. Shit makes old men wanna dance.
Last year's #1 top pull was also Prince. (Somehow this card is still intact. Any ideas how much it would sell for?)

I'd like to hear your stories of the first home team jersey or auto card you have pulled. Let's hear 'em.
If you don't want to share, you can still take a look back at the Top 5 Pulls of 2007 ----------> #5 #4 #3 #2 #1

6 comments:

night owl said...

Well, this isn't a current player (in fact, he's dead), and I've mentioned it before, but when I pulled a Johnny Podres autograph card out of a rack-pack from Target, I nearly fell over. Not much better than that for a Dodger fan (well, except for Sandy, Jackie, Duke).

The bizarre thing is there were was another auto of a current player in the pack with it!

FanOfReds said...

I still haven't pulled a Cincinnati Reds card relic from a pack. In fact, up until a few weeks ago, I didn't even own a Reds relic card!

dayf said...

Huh. I know what the first auto I ever pulled is, what the first relic I ever pulled is, and the first outrageous Braves insert I ever pulled is, but I have no clue what the first Braves relic I ever pulled is. I'll have to think about that. I pulled a Chipper Jersey out of a $1.50 Target box once that made me pretty happy.

You still haven't ripped that card? Have you at least done the flashlight trick?

gcrl said...

i don't know if it was the first, but i bought a box of topps fan favorites a few years ago and the lone auto in the box was steve garvey. that's good karma.

Grand Cards said...

Earlier this year I pulled an Autographed Armando Galarraga Rookie Card from a target blaster of Topps Chrome. This was my first ever Tigers pull and I about loudly yelled things that would have offended the elementary school children across the street. Just started re-collecting a year and a half ago, but this was the pull of my life thus far.

Slette said...

The first pull I had upon hobby re-entry was from a Spectrum blaster I bought this past may: it was a Jeter/Pujols dual jersey #ed to 99, which excited me to no end. A couple months later, I pulled an autographed Cal Ripken Jr #ed 10/10 from a hobby pack of Baseball Heroes. I was so excited to be making quality pulls like this, I bought more and more, and since have acquired a healthy collection of Freddy Sanchez and Travis Hafner "hits." *sigh*