Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My New Blog: 1992 Upper Deck Explained

I'd like to take the time today to unveil my new blog, 1992 Upper Deck Explained, a tribute site to the set of the same name. I've seen a couple of these spring up from time to time, so I thought I'd try my hand at it. Fret not, Thorzul Will Rule will still be a fully operational Death Star. Now, you will just be getting twice the dosage of Thorzul irreverence.

So go check it out, and make it a part of your US RDA of quick wit and obscure references.

I want to make sure to thank someone who may have unknowingly acted as the impetus for this new blog. A few weeks ago, my wife and I visited one of her best friends who lives in Green Bay. This best friend was something of a collector in her past and was gracious enough of a host to haul out a 5000-count box of forgotten cardboard and told me to help myself to whatever I wanted. Part of my haul included a stack of 1992 Upper Deck, a set I never managed to finish off. A few days after the visit, I was sorting the cards I needed into the box and it hit me how great of a set this was. The idea for a new blog soon followed. So...thanks, Lindsay!

I must admit that this project might stall soon after it gets off the ground, not because of my idle nature, but based on the fact that I haven't yet completed the set. I've placed my needs at the top of my Want List, and I'm encouraging anyone who has a closet full of this stuff to send it my way. After breaking a box last week, I'm still some 70-80 cards short of a full set. Who will step forward to be a part of history?

That's 1992 Upper Deck Explained. Check it out. If you like it, link it.

Oh, and feedback of the ass-ugly color scheme will be appreciated. I tried to be as true as possible to the original packaging. The word "hexadecimal" is now in my vocabulary.

2 comments:

Greg Olsen said...

This is one of my favorite sets! I will read it with interest.

Unfortunately, I'm living 12 hours from my collection... so I can't help you complete it.

Lonestarr said...

Wow the color of your new is more painful to look at than staring into a thousand suns... or looking at those alternate orange Bears jerseys.