Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Phunky Pack

The other day my mailbox contained a mysterious envelope with a 62-cent stamp on its front. The return address said PA. Inside was a pack of some of the most interesting homemade cards this side of PunkRockPaint, Ltd.

The pack was from Paul over at Phungo. The wrapper had a nice, 1974 Topps-themed design, but I didn't expect that Schmidt second year card. No, when you have Jamie Moyer signed to an exclusive contract, something special is bound to be inside.

Let's tear in.

First of all, I'm assuming that Paul used no copyrighted images for his cards. The top card is #38 Kyle Kendrick, Phillies pitcher. The numbers at the bottom are presumably the date the photo was taken. I applaud this subject-verb agreement, as it were, a level of preciseness that a company with as many resources as Upper Deck could not achieve in its 2008 Documentary set.

With the second card we're thrown a curveball, as card #19 is James Bond Island. Inanimate objects are always welcome on cards as far as I'm concerned. This island was featured prominently in shots of the private retreat belonging to the triple-nippled James Bond baddie, Scaramanga. Coincidentally, when my wife and I participated in the the ship's version of "The Newlywed Game" on our honeymoon cruise, The Man With the Golden Gun was one of the answers. And yes, it was a match.

#18 JC Romero

#40 Paul Sorvino "Paulie may have moved slow, but it was only because Paulie didn't have to move for anybody."

Next we have CC Sabathia in a photo taken during Game 2 of the 2008 NLDS. Good God, I hope this was taken during the first inning and not the second. Though not officially recognized as "CC in a Brewers Uniform" canon, it's a cool card nonetheless.

#27 Rob Davis, Packers long snapper, shot taken during a 31-9 Packers loss on October 2, 2006.

Here's the one-per-pack black frame insert, depicting the Phillies 2005 Opening Day against the Nationals. Glossy!

And as promised, you also get two genuine Topps, Upper Deck, or Fleer cards. Going straight to my trade bait box.

When will card companies learn not to stick junk into an otherwise nice pack, fouling it all up? Thanks, Paul, for putting this together. In a couple of months I might have to hit you up for a box of this stuff, depending on how the '09 products are looking.

2 comments:

deal said...

Nice Review. Sorry both the key cards came from losses. Somehow I thought you might be the person to get some movie related cards too.

Always nice to get positive feedback from a teacher. Not sure that I earned much when I was in School. If I wasn't so worn out I would get a Rob Davis post up before the superbowl. but not sure it's going to happen.

deal said...

Ok I sucked it up and put up a quick post on Rob Davis. Now you must tell me did "Man with the Golden Gun" really factor into a dating game question for you and your wife??



http://phungo.blogspot.com/2009/02/phungo-cards-rob-davis.html