Monday, March 30, 2009

Group Break: AL Central

We've been through all of the Senior Crrcuit teams that people wanted, so today we're moving on to the American League, starting with teams from the Rust Belt, Motor City, and the land of Vampire Separatists.

Team: Twins
Buyer: Matt F.
Card: 2006 Topps Co-Signers #16 Torii Hunter

Thoughts: This was one of the few guys I liked on the Twins, and now he's gone. It makes me even more sick of the distinct disadvantage the Brewers suffer playing them every year and getting the crap kicked out of them. Aw, heck...when you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Go Twins.
And by the way, all of the gold foil on this card is showing up as silver for some reason.

Team: Indians
Buyer: Tribe Cards
Cards: 2008 Topps Moments & Milestones #51 C.C. Sabathia 164 Strikeouts (10/25), 2005 Upper Deck Classics #109 Dennis Eckersley


Thoughts: I know, I've already shown an M&M card, but here's one of the rare(r) ones. Still a stupid idea, but I wish I could have kept this one. And that Eckersley card...man, that's beautiful. "Women wanted him...men wanted to be him."

Team: Tigers
Buyer: thesewingmachineguy
Cards: 2003 Topps Gallery #22 Ernie Harwell (Red Tie and Blue Tie Variants), 2004 Upper Deck Play Ball #94 Jeremy Bonderman


Thoughts: When picking cards to show from the Tigers, I happened to notice that the Harwells looked different from one another. Exhaustive research turned up the probability that neither one is more scarce than the other, but I could be wrong. To make up for this ineptitude, I also decided to show an actual player. These Play Ball cards were sprinkled liberally amongst most of the teams, like the raisins in an off-brand raisin bran. (I sucked the sugar off the Bonderman, though. Don't judge me for it.) I liked this card because it reminded me of the picture I once saw of a women whose facial features were so close together that her eyes, mouth, and nose could all be covered by a single teacup. For those of you who plan on trying this at home, I feel it's best not to let us all know if you indeed succeed.

4 comments:

the sewingmachineguy said...

Awesome Harwell cards. I don't have those. Ernie is such a gentleman. As a kid, I had the opportunity to meet him before a Tiger game, He signed an autograph and said hi and shook our hands...a class act. Bonderman looks a bit mongoloid in that card. Thanks for doing this. Peace.

dayf said...

It's been a while since I collected 'em, but I'm pretty sure that the green Harwell is a one-per pack short print. Don't quote me on it though. Somewhere deep in my archives is a list of the variations from that set. One day I'll dig it up and post it for posterity.

Tony Brown said...

Bonderman reminds me of a burn victim many years later. Ouch.

the sewingmachineguy said...

Packaged received yesterday. Great cards. There was a Magglio in there that was awesome (amazing UD photography). My wife wants one of the Pudge cards. Thanks again for doing this. Peace.