Monday, March 23, 2009

Huck Feritage Replacement Therapy: OOP Movie

Part of the deal I made with myself was to use my otherwise unspent 2009 Topps Heritage money on something I ordinarily wouldn't buy for myself. Being that my initial earning years came at a time when I was not buying baseball cards regularly, my movie collection easily dwarfs my card stash.
Part of being a DVD collector involves going after some of the rarest films available, or, as it turns out, unavailable. Sometime you luck out and acquire a hot DVD shortly before it goes out of print, but it's more likely that you hear about it too late and need to play catch-up. I was fortunate enough to have purchased the Criterion editions of Spellbound, Rebecca, and Notorious (all Hitchcock films) long before prices skyrocketed. Others sit on my shelves that I had to find after the fact.
Over the last couple of years, one film in particular has made me salivate, yet I never pulled the trigger. Usually, if found on eBay, its Buy It Now price was too high. Then the economic crisis hit.
One was on sale for $75, but another trailed a day or two behind it. I crossed my fingers and held out for the cheaper one. Here are the results...
Last Year at Marienbad (Fox Lorber) DVD
Price: $41.00
Balance: $54.51


Haven't viewed it yet, but I'm looking forward to the confusion it has been said to produce.
And as you can see, there's a lot going on behind it. Here's what we'll do as an impromptu contest. In the comments, write the names of as many of the films sitting behind Last Year at Marienbad as you can. The person who correctly identifies the most films will win a prize that may or may not have something to do with movies and/or cards. (And no fair writing the name of every film ever made in hopes of hitting the ones pictured. There is some rhyme and reason to their arrangement, so I'm sure someone can get at least 90% of the titles.)
Good luck!

5 comments:

RWH said...

Ichi The Killer
Jackie Brown
King Arthur
Kung Fu Panda (?)
Little Shop of Horrors
Moulin Rouge
Oldboy
Once Upon A Time in America
Once Upon A Time in Mexico
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Pulp Fiction
Punch Drunk Love

Donte said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Joannah

http://transcendmemory.net

Slette said...

Ichi The Killer
Jackie Brown
King Arthur
Kung Fu Panda
Little Shop of Horrors
Memento ?
Moulin Rouge
Near Dark
Oldboy
Once Upon A Time in America
Once Upon A Time in Mexico
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Pulp Fiction
Punch Drunk Love

RoofGod said...

Here's my guess.

Ichi The Killer
Jackie Brown
King Arthur
Kung Fu Hustle
Memento
Moulin Rouge
Near Dark
Oldboy
Once Upon A Time In America
Once Upon A Time In Mexico
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Pulp Fiction
Punch Drunk Love

Matt said...

Ichi The Killer
Jackie Brown
King Arthur
King Kong
Kingpin
Kung Fu Hustle
Little Shop of Horrors
Memento
Moulin Rouge
Near Dark
Oldboy
Once Upon A Time in America
Once Upon A Time in Mexico
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Pulp Fiction
Punch Drunk Love