Wednesday, August 26, 2009

CC: Mag-neato!

Tonight, a few Sabathia items to share.

2008 Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Micro Magnet

As a Sunday-only newspaper subscriber, this nice little piece of memorabilia slipped under my radar last season. If I remember correctly, these Brewer magnets could have been obtained by clipping a Journal Sentinel coupon and marching it off to a local participating establishment. I'm sure my preferred grocery chain took part, but I never took the initiative to head out to Pick n' Save (a name that took all sorts of multiple entendres amongst my circle of boyhood friends) with coup' in hand. This promotion is being duplicated as we speak with the Brew Crew in their throwback 1980s uniforms. The artist depicting the big lefty decided to give him some bunny teeth. Not sure how I feel about that.

The magnet itself it almost exactly the height of the average baseball card, but the packaging prevents me from sliding this into a 9-pocket sheet. Not really a card, but I still like owning it.

2008 Upper Deck SP Authentic Marquee Matchups (w/Mauer) #MM-43

Despite his trade to the Brewers, this was a Marquee Matchup that was allowed to continue in the 2009 season because of his acquisition by the New York Spendies. Although brief, this matchup has been won by CC. He has faced the Twins only once this year, but in that game he held Mauer to an 0-3 performance, striking him out once.

And how about the August this guy has had? He has gone 5-0 so far, with two wins against the hated Red Sox. I'd say that makes him a shoo-in for AL Pitcher of the Month. Plus, he looks to be pitching against the White Sox on Saturday with a chance to make it six wins in the month. You know what Milwaukee Brewers starting pitcher Jeff Suppan calls six wins?

A season.

2 comments:

William said...

Scott Karl called it a career.

Thorzul said...

Touche.